Kaseya Community

Backups dont seem to overwrite

• I'm discovering Acronis Backups don't seem to overwrite themselves and therefore are taking up the entire drive until the disk is full. I've changed the number of saved backups to one and also tried on 0 but the same issue occurs. This happens with multiple clients.

Can anyone tell me if they're having or had the issue or if they know of a fix/ workaround?

Thanks

Legacy Forum Name: Backups dont seem to overwrite,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Brad Cheetham
  • i had the same issue, and have since stopped using BUDR.

The reason that Kaseya Support gave me was the following:
    • BUDR causing Hard Drive Space to fill up ….. even when ”Delete before running backup” is checked.

After reviewing this further, your issue is that your last full backup was unable to complete and your next full backup is scheduled to take place on August 28th.

You have your backup set retaining specifications set for 1 set. A backup set = Full backup (synthetic or not) + incrementals/differentials / The next backup set = Next Scheduled Full Backup (synthetic or not) + incrementals/differentials, etc... When the full backup fails, all of your incremental backups that should have been deleted from there will not be put in the backup set deletion queue until the next full is run. Make sense?

What you need to do in this case is simply reschedule a full backup to take place. This will mark the new set. From there, I recommend you delete/copy off the incremental backups previous to this tentative to be scheduled full backup.

Hope this helps you.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Commander
  • Commander

You have your backup set retaining specifications set for 1 set. A backup set = Full backup (synthetic or not) + incrementals/differentials / The next backup set = Next Scheduled Full Backup (synthetic or not) + incrementals/differentials, etc... When the full backup fails, all of your incremental backups that should have been deleted from there will not be put in the backup set deletion queue until the next full is run. Make sense?

What you need to do in this case is simply reschedule a full backup to take place. This will mark the new set. From there, I recommend you delete/copy off the incremental backups previous to this tentative to be scheduled full backup.

Hope this helps you.

Basically format the drive (since backups are the only things on there) and start again with a full backup?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Brad Cheetham