Kaseya Community

Disk space and synthetic full backups

• Hi chaps,

Our BUDR at a clients is taking up WAYYYY too much space. 2TB and climbing. Looking at it, one of the servers has lots of folders, basically about 65GB for each day, despite the incremental backups for each day only amounting to 2GB.

The backup logs for that server shows this;

Volume Synthetic Full 19:57:59 31-Dec-09 05:12:00 64.6GB Success
    Backup completed successfully

Volume Incremental 14:45:51 31-Dec-09 00:50:32 1.50GB Success
    Backup completed successfully

- 19:59:56 30-Dec-09 - - Warning
    Could not delete the following backup sets as they are needed to complete synthetic full backups on the offsite server: 20091220 14.49.44, 20091227 14.43.51, 20091221 14.51.21, 20091222 14.51.13, 20091226 14.42.51, 20091225 14.42.45, 20091207 08.50.54, 20091223 14.42.54, 20091228 14.43.41, 20091224 14.42.44

Volume Synthetic Full 19:59:56 30-Dec-09 00:00:00 - Warning
    This machine does not have enough local hard drive space to copy both the original and new backups sets for a synthetic full backup. As such, the original backup will be copied locally, and the new synthetic full backups will be created directly over the network, which may decrease reliability.

Am I right in thinking that for some reason it's trying to create a new synthetic full backup each day? If so, can I clear out some of the folders in that servers BUDR location to save space ? Though 65GB each day doesnt appear to be uploaded over the internet, the onsite NAS has hit its limit.

Help

Ta

Olly

Legacy Forum Name: Disk space and synthetic full backups,
    Legacy Posted By Username: oliverm
  • My system is doing the same thing. I have my systems set up to do a synthetic backup weekly and keep two sets. The older folders are not getting deleted so I have more than 2 sets, this is filling up the local storage unit.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: SKleis
  • ["Could not delete the following backup sets as they are needed to complete synthetic full backups on the offsite server"]

IMHO, theres your answer. BU-DR can't delete backup files until they're first sucessfully replicated offsite...

Legacy Posted By Username: merli
  • I just got the same error in my backup logs

Volume Synthetic Full 6:53:24 am 30-Jan-10 00:00:00 - Warning
    This machine does not have enough local hard drive space to copy backups sets for a synthetic full backup. As such, synthetic full backups will be performed over the network, which may decrease reliability.

Where exactly does the free space need to be?
    The Local Server has ~4.5 TB free space, the Offsite Server has around 700 GB free space.
    The synthetic full backup was only 22 GB.

What the heck is going on here?

Legacy Posted By Username: AltairSystems
  • We have the same issues really. In general BUDR seems to stop working when it wants and give a random error message. Lack of disk space on setups with loads of space, uninstallation errors when it's still installed, etc etc.

WE've actually removed BUDR on all machines execpt hosted servers which have an internet connection capable of uploading full images when (not if) BUDR fails to do the local merge due to 'disk space'.

Legacy Posted By Username: oliverm
  • What BUDR version are you running?

I only purchased BUDR because of the Synthetic Full capability.

Please tell me this works. Properly. All the time.

I understand there will be a new BUDR version based on Acronis 10 soon-ish. Perhaps these issues will be solved then???

Legacy Posted By Username: teamnet
  • For use synthetic is seriously hit and miss and is quite frustrating..

Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Yeah, synthetic backups are not production-ready in my book. It's never worked correctly or reliably.

Legacy Posted By Username: mastermindpro
  • We also got that error. I found out when it creates the synthetic backup it copies all the previous set of backup files to the LOCAL drive of the computer that the synthetic is being created for. I found this out because once it crashed out I saw two new folders on my storage drive. \oldTibs and \newTibs. If there isn't enough space on that local drive it will error out.

I found a link to a KB article that should fix this, though I can't verify that for a week or two.

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=311678&p=11855

Hope this helps!

Legacy Posted By Username: John Salle