Kaseya Community

My first restore with Kaseya

• I want to share my first experience with Kaseya BUDR.

I have a new customer that I sold the Offsite BUDR product to. I installed the backup device on Friday. The customer did their last backup to tape on Friday night. I did the full BUDR backup on Saturday. Incrementals ran on Sunday and Monday night.

The customer had a power outage on Tuesday morning, causing all the servers to reboot. 1 server did not come back up after the power outage.

When I arrived onsite the 1 server was in a reboot cycle. Server would boot to the Starting Windows 2003 screen and then reboot.

I found that the server was trying to do a chkdsk, but it couldn't find the chkdsk program.

I booted the server to recovery console and try to run chkdsk from there. I got an error message that there were 1 or more unrecoverable errors and that chkdsk couldn't run.

I tried restoring just the C drive from the budr, but after the restore I still got the same results, reboot cycle.

I worked with Microsoft for 3 hours trying to figure out what was going on.

It was determined that the disk was hosed and had to be reformatted. The server was running a RAID-1. I broke the mirror and recreated it. Formatted.

I then used budr to restore the whole server, C, D and E. Before going with the restore I had a call opened with a support with Kaseya. They called me as I was just getting ready to start the restore. I asked the gentleman if he could walk me through the restore process, since I was at the point. He told me that he had other appointments and could only send me a link. I had already had the link. It was nice to know that all the money I spent on support each month allows me access to support documents.

I went through the restore process. It took a little over 5 hours to restore all three drives.

After the restore finished I rebooted the server and got the same result, reboot cycle.

At this point it was 10:00PM and the customer had been down all day. I opened antoher support call with Microsoft and discuss what my option was. While I was talking to the Microsoft rep we came to the conclusion that the drive had a bad sector(s). We figured that budr does a sector restore, even if the sector is bad.

At this point I was lucky to have the backup tape from Friday night. I did a clean install of Windows. I then installed Veritas and restore the C drive and system state. After this restore was finished the server booted with out issues.

I then recreated the D drive and the E drive. I mounted the budr backup and was able to copy all of D and E drive. After I copied the data back in place, rebooted and the server was fully recovered.

This is just my first exeperince with the budr process and hopefully this will help others.

Thanks
    Kerry

Legacy Forum Name: My first restore with Kaseya,
    Legacy Posted By Username: kerrya
  • Kerry,

Thanks for sharing that experience. Sorry you had to go through it.

Just to confirm... I assume the BUDR backup job reported that it completed successfully? And the Verify reported that it completed successfully?

Had there been any report of errors with the disk beforehand? Or were you totally surpised to learn there were some disk errors that existed at the time of the backup?

At this spoint, we are still using Symantec Backup Exec v12.5, in addition to Acronis. Your experience makes be feel better that we continue to also do backups with Backup Exec.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • The backups were showing successful. There were no alerts about any issues with the hard drives.

• I have their backups on a USB drive and I have a like server in my office. I am going to try on restore the backup to that server to test the theory.

I will post what I find out.

Kerry

• FYI - Neither Kaseya nor Acronis support running Acronis and BackupExec running on the same system.

I've personally seen this hose several servers, and refuse to installed Acronis on any server that has another backup product on it.

Legacy Posted By Username: csousa@radicalsupport.com
  • csousa@radicalsupport.com
    FYI - Neither Kaseya nor Acronis support running Acronis and BackupExec running on the same system.

I've personally seen this hose several servers, and refuse to installed Acronis on any server that has another backup product on it.

Might be true.... but in this case, it sure is a good thing that Kerrya had the additional Backup Exec backup, otherwise, the server would not have been recoverable. We use Symantec Backup Exec on all of our servers, and also have BUDR/Acronis or Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) imaging software on some servers. If I was forced to choose only one, I would personally chose Symantec Backup Exec over BUDR/Acronis.

• Just a thought, but I would suspect that the disk didn't actually have a bad-sector but bad data in that sector. eg. a corrupt file or something that caused windows to reboot. Or it could have been a patch that happened over the weekend.

The "repeated reboots" we've seen lately have been caused by Microsoft patches and ACPI issues with other drivers. Acer Empower has an issue as well as KB971486. Big problem is, that we don't see the problem immediately, it only surfaces when the machine is rebooted.

On a server this is a problem because the machine could stay up for months at a time. One of the first things we do lately when a machine won't boot, is reboot with Bart and in the windows directory look at the dates of any recent patches.

In your situation, I'd check to see if any patches ran in the last few days. You may have been able to use BUDR and point in time, to restore it fully to Saturday and then just the required data with the incrementals.

Legacy Posted By Username: doug.jenkins@ispire.ca
  • I went into the office today and tried to restore the backup to a server I have there.

When I tried to restore all of the drives (C,D and E), I got an error message on the D drive. Said that the media was bad.

I then did a restore of just the C drive. This restore completed successfully. I rebooted and the server booted up. I logged in and everything was intact from the restore.

Don't know what it means, but it is looking like the orignal server might have problems.

Kerry

• If it's over 3 months old, replace it Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • I did some more restores and I am able to restore C and the E drive. The D drive keeps failing with bad media.

Kerry

• To add to the pain, the server went down again this week. Was onsite when it happened. Same issue. We get a message that Autocheck program can not be found - skipping Autocheck. The server then reboots.

We brought in a temporary server and was able to get them restored using BUDR.

Did a google search on the Autocheck error and found a post from a users that was having the same issue right after they started to use Acornis Ture Image.

I was never able to find how he fixed his issue. The post was from 2007. Has anyone else experinced this issue?

Thanks
    Kerry

• Kerry,

You definately have me scared here - fearful that installing BUDR actually introduces a problem. Ouch.

I spent some time doing ggogle searches. Probably found all the stame stuff you have found.

One specific thread seemed to possibly be a macth for your situation, and was fairly detailed. Although it is from 2006. Here is a link.
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=132558

Take a look at your convenience, and let us know if that seems liek a possible match.

• That is the same link that I found. If you pay the 10 bucks to see the expert link it doesn't say how they fixed it.

I have also downloaded Symantec BESR and will start testing this weekend.

Kerry

• If you backup bad data you will restore bad data. I am pretty certain this is what happened to you. Did you try restoring the first backup (without the incrementals)?

I suggest doing a checkdisk /f on each drive. Each time rebooting in between. Then do a full backup with BUDR. Take that backup and test a restore on your spare server.

We exclusively use BUDR as our sole backup solution for every client. We have had 100% success in restoring. We have done more than 50 disaster recoveries. Probably more like more than 150.

It is critical that you don't have another backup product installed like Backup Exec before installing BUDR. This can break lots of stuff.

Good Luck.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Found this link this morning. This seems to be our problem and its a known issue with Acronis.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=206658

Kerry