Kaseya Community

Problem\bug with Synthetic backup in BUDR 3.1

• In 3.1, when doing a synthetic full, the backup is copied back to the machine, processed then copied back to file backup location.

Looks like a great idea, but there's a problem when the synthetic backup fails (machine rebooted, disconnected...). All the backup files copied on the machine are not deleted and when the backup gets fired again, you backup the backup files and your backup is double the size.

Anyone had that issue and a workaround (other than manualy deleting the files stored is \oldtibs) ?

Regards,

Legacy Forum Name: Problem\bug with Synthetic backup in BUDR 3.1,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tbresse
  • I had the exact same issue - mine cause my server to fall over..

Ran out of space.

I will be furious if this is the case - why on earth you would copy 250gb back across the network to then create a full that is copied back to the storage box.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mmartin
  • Just noticed also.

Although we are running 3.1 on our kaseya server, these two boxes in my case are not running the latest acronis as in the version that is shipped with 3.1. So am assuming this is a kaseya BUDR issue rather than acronis.

if that makes sense.

• I guess it's a Kaseya issue, you're right. I don't think the acronis update will change anything. they should check if previous backup failed/files are present in /oldtib and cleanup before launching the backup.

Not really a problem on servers since backup rarely fails, but it's very common with laptop users.

• There is a hidden option in BUDR to choose the behaviour.

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=311678&p=11855

Provided by Kaseya Support.

• unbeliveable - why they keep these things hidden is beyond me.

I have an issue though when i do this i don't see all my BUDR servers and particularly the one I want.

Any thoughts on this - is there criteria for it...

• think it might be that I have not upgraded those clients to latest version will try that and then see..

• nope thats not the problem

• mmartin
    nope thats not the problem

I have this issue as well. I have responded to the support about it. I just see my first 10 machines whatever view I'm using.

• tbresse
    I have this issue as well. I have responded to the support about it. I just see my first 10 machines whatever view I'm using.

Maybe it works fine in K2....

• Yeah I saw that too. I went in and hacked the asp code so I could see more than 10 machines, and then for good measure manually checked the SQL tables that store this setting to make sure that this awful idea never makes it into production on my servers.

Legacy Posted By Username: Richard Williams