Kaseya Community

Windows 2008 R2 Servers

• Does the current version of BUDR support W2K8 R2 servers acting as domain controllers?

Legacy Forum Name: Windows 2008 R2 Servers,
    Legacy Posted By Username: akoop
  • it will install but it is not fully compatible. Their are workarounds to do a restore, you can not use the trueimage.exe to do a restore. we have another machine that we do a restore from if needed.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • Does it properly backup everything including the system state, AD, etc?

Legacy Posted By Username: akoop
  • akoop
    Does it properly backup everything including the system state, AD, etc?

Supposedly if you use VSS but that can be a can of worms in itself. For extra protection I like to use NTBackup additionally for the SystemState.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Coldfirex
    Supposedly if you use VSS but that can be a can of worms in itself. For extra protection I like to use NTBackup additionally for the SystemState.

You should never back up the System State of a domain controller if you are running multiple DCs.

Or more correctly, you should never restore it...

Andrew

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au
  • [quote=andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au;52117]You should never back up the System State of a domain controller if you are running multiple DCs.

Andrew[/quote]

Or more correctly, you should never restore it unless all of the other DCs have died a horrible death at the same time Big Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: bdoohaluk
  • [QUOTE=andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au;52117]You should never back up the System State of a domain controller if you are running multiple DCs.

Andrew[/QUOTE]

A while ago, I followed a prior thread on the topic or restoring DCs in an environment with multiple DCs. Kaseya has a KB article on the subject

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?p=11855&article=306517
    how to restore a domain controller in a multi-DC environment.

You need to have a seperate System State backup, and you cannot restore to disimilar hardware.

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf
    A while ago, I followed a prior thread on the topic or restoring DCs in an environment with multiple DCs. Kaseya has a KB article on the subject

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?p=11855&article=306517
    how to restore a domain controller in a multi-DC environment.

You need to have a seperate System State backup, and you cannot restore to disimilar hardware.

I may have been a contributing factor in that KB article...

Roll EyesCool

Legacy Posted By Username: andrew.doull@computer-care.com.au