Kaseya Community

a couple things i have learned

• with BUDR:
    1. A Dell utility partition interferes with auto recovery (secure zone). looks like the secure zone partition has to be the first partition on the disk for it to work.

2. If you want to have a successful "automatic" CD Recovery, you must create a recovery disc specific to the system.group and burn that iso to boot from.

3. The only way to get BUDR to work on a computer with a dell utility partition is to burn the most updated version of the universal boot CD (link inside of kaseya to get to the latest images) and boot from that. You then will have to walk the user through finding the recovery image on the network.

let me know if anyone can dispute or confirm these findings.

Legacy Forum Name: a couple things i have learned,
    Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • I can confirm. In fact the automatic SecureZone intstall process has never worked for me, on any install, ever. Even with one small experimental scratch install of Win2k and Winxp.

The Universal Restore iso creation has also never worked. It bombs out on some XML loading process.

I had to get the Universal Restore ISO from support, and that is my golden ticket for any restore. I have to send a tech to run it, though, so they can pick the correct path and use the password correctly. This is not something I would put an end-user through.

Would be nice if some of the easy recovery steps worked. Confused

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: FarVision
  • I've used the secure zone auto restore with relative success on XP and Windows Server 2003 servers, not sure what the fuss is.

Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano
  • FarVision
    I can confirm. In fact the automatic SecureZone intstall process has never worked for me, on any install, ever. Even with one small experimental scratch install of Win2k and Winxp.

The Universal Restore iso creation has also never worked. It bombs out on some XML loading process.

I had to get the Universal Restore ISO from support, and that is my golden ticket for any restore. I have to send a tech to run it, though, so they can pick the correct path and use the password correctly. This is not something I would put an end-user through.

Would be nice if some of the easy recovery steps worked. Confused

yea it will hang on the xml...... step if the securezone is not the first partition on the disk. i have verified this working on numerous systems. again, if the partition is screwed up then the cd recovery wont work either unless you use the universal disc which is a manual process and not one that is pleasant to walk a client through.

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • Let's say you have a Dell server w/a RAID array with Server 2003 on it. Typically you would have three partitions (maybe 4), the Dell recovery partition, then the C drive (12Gb, if you let Dell have its way), then your E drive, then maybe that little fragment at the end.

Assume you are onsite to do a recovery (not concerned about secure zone), what is the proper selections of partitions to restore to ensure a good restore? Do you restore the Dell partition? What about boot order, etc.

We seem to keep having issues with it and when it finally restores and boots, we just get the server back in service and can't remember exactly how we did it Red Faced

(Also, is seems like restoring to a RAID is painfully slow...)

Randy

Legacy Posted By Username: rcspang