Kaseya Community

Delete Before Running Backup

• Does the 'Delete before running backup' option work for anyone else? I have tried it a few times and have not been able to get it to work.

I haven't thoroughly tested it because of a few concerns. If I have a backup set for two weeks and I turn on the option to 'Delete before running backup', is the software smart enough to know to only delete the 2nd week when trying to create a new 3rd week full?

Anyways, just wanted to see others thoughts on this option and if it is working for others.

Thanks.

Legacy Forum Name: Delete Before Running Backup,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • we have it working in different enviroments ranging from a NAS drive that does not get rotated every week and ones that do get rotated out every week.

Grant

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • YMMV, but we've stopped using this feature.

We typically backup workstations once a week and only keep 1 set (we use that as a backup for bare-metal restore purposes and don;t have room on our NAS for morre than 1 set). If a backup fails (for whatever reason), then you're left without a backup.

There really should be a delete AFTER backup option.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: JMF
  • JMF

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Actually, the normal way BUDR runs is to delete AFTER backup. K just added the "before" option for people with very limited space.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave
  • Red Faced

yep, a case of me typing before thinking...

Legacy Posted By Username: JMF
  • JMF
    Red Faced

yep, a case of me typing before thinking...

JMF

Jeff

Na you were right the first time... it should be an option to delete before or after Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • When we were using BU-DR (not now) i had the same issue.

Here was the response from Kaseya Support for my issue, although it seemed not to make any difference to the problem:

After reviewing this further, your issue is that your last full backup was unable to complete and your next full backup is scheduled to take place on August 28th.

You have your backup set retaining specifications set for 1 set. A backup set = Full backup (synthetic or not) + incrementals/differentials / The next backup set = Next Scheduled Full Backup (synthetic or not) + incrementals/differentials, etc... When the full backup fails, all of your incremental backups that should have been deleted from there will not be put in the backup set deletion queue until the next full is run. Make sense?

What you need to do in this case is simply reschedule a full backup to take place. This will mark the new set. From there, I recommend you delete/copy off the incremental backups previous to this tentative to be scheduled full backup.

Regards,
    Kaseya Support

We ended up not using BU-DR for a number of reasons i wont go into here, so i never got to move any further with looking into this.

Legacy Posted By Username: Commander