Kaseya Community

Offiste BUDR - Real World Experiences??? Discussion.

• Hi There. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who is doing offsite replication for large amounts of data.
    I understand manually seeding the first full offsite and am happy to do that.

I have a question relating to the synthetic fulls for offiste transfer.
    If I have a 100MB PST file, and a single email changes inside the PST, does the entire 100MB get marked to replicate offsite or just the bytes inside the PST that change? I have servers with many small changes to large CAD files and want to make sure that BUDR processes these delta changes as opposed to the entire file each time it changes.

Anyone have multi-TB Eek local and offsite installations?
    Can you verifiy synthetics work after manual seeding?

Any real world experices appreciated!

Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Offiste BUDR - Real World Experiences??? Discussion.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rookes
  • We tried it, we canned it.

Even with initially manually copying the image file from the customer to the offsite server (which is crap imho anyway) the incremental sizes we were getting were just too big.

Neither we, nor the customers can justify the cost of a monthly business grade T1 connection to get this to work properly. The ongoing costs of this type of ISP connection in this part of the world (Australia) just doesnt add up to a financially viable product for us.

To answer the question about the .PST file, yes if it changes at all, the whole lot of the file is backed up again, so is everything that may have been moved or compressed due to regular maintainance like defrags or disk checks etc.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Commander
  • rookes
    Hi There. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who is doing offsite replication for large amounts of data.
    I understand manually seeding the first full offsite and am happy to do that.

We do this... and the inital seed can be an .

rookes

I have a question relating to the synthetic fulls for offiste transfer.
    If I have a 100MB PST file, and a single email changes inside the PST, does the entire 100MB get marked to replicate offsite or just the bytes inside the PST that change? I have servers with many small changes to large CAD files and want to make sure that BUDR processes these delta changes as opposed to the entire file each time it changes.

Depends on the system. Ours will take the whole PST as a change in it has been detected

rookes

Anyone have multi-TB Eek local and offsite installations?
    Can you verifiy synthetics work after manual seeding?

Does 5@5TB qualify as "multi-TB" in your book? Big Smile

Background: We used to work for an ASP/MSP, a bunch of us left to do strictly backups then were pressured back into being an MSP (clients have that affect on you)

If you're going to do offsite replication it will not be cheap for your clients, and it will definitly not be cheap for you (if you are going to do it right)...

As Commander states in many places the cost of bandwidth alone can be pricey... if you are going to use a dedicated pipe for it. We've been trying to partner with bandwidth providers to help alleviate or lessen this cost.

Legacy Posted By Username: thirteentwenty
  • We are doing offsite and thought great revenue generator. The offsitepbackups is not going grear due to the offsite keeps failing. We have upgraded eveyone to 9.7 and every second months the synthetic backups fail. Even in the log when everything is ok it still tries to do a replcation of synthetic backup which could be in our case 100gb plus. We then have to send tech onsite to copy off and the come back to site. If it worked we would be making money on the offsite. I would double what you thought on charging for offsite because you will have to have someone onsite to to a copy off and the take back to site and then re populate the offsite.

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • How were you able to get an upgrade to 9.7?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: JMF
  • We were givin by support to assist with the failing synthetic backups on offsite.
    We been having same problem

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin
  • Ah, thank you.

I think I may contact them. I've been dealing with secure zone recovery failures as well as offiste backup issues.

Jeff

Legacy Posted By Username: JMF
  • We've had some bugs here and there, but overall the offsite replication has worked fairly well for our company. That being said, if you're doing it for many clients you're going to need the proper network infrastructure and storage capacity, not to mention enough bandwidth on both ends.

Legacy Posted By Username: jviggiano