Kaseya Community

BUDR STILL grey screen's servers!

• What a bummer, I has really hoping we could move to BU-DR but I am definitely going to stick with Shadow protect for now

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Steve Morris
  • ONCE AGAIN, a server grey screening even after Kaseya provided a "fix". (new driver).

I'm so SICK OF THIS! And whats the point of even complaining/venting?? They haven't done anything about this in 3 years, why would they start now???

Legacy Posted By Username: Interprom
  • I gave up. Kaseya should at least acknowledge this instead of acting like this is a new issue.

Legacy Posted By Username: support@hdtech.com
  • Not sure if this is the same problem...i hope not....but

A Windows XP machine had an issue logged, constant freezing, and would not respond, screen was "grey/blue"

Removed BU DR, issue now resolved.

Co incidence or not? unsure.

Legacy Posted By Username: Commander
  • I strongly agree with most of the sentiments expressed in this thread.

1) BUDR has great potential and works great 90% of the time. But a BUDR product/service needs closer to 100% success and when it does fail, it needs to not actually cause disasters (i.e. grey screens, blue screens, etc.). The fact that Kaseya has not taken this seriously even though we've been struggling along with many of you for years on these issues, is very disappointing. Apparantly they have been spending their development dollars on a bunch of new future modules and functions that many of us don't want/need.
    2) KES has been turned around and is now actually becoming a really stellar module in large part to the role that Jeff has played. We would not have moved off of our stand-alone AVG without the pricing adjustments they recently made and the stellar work that Jeff's been doing. Why doesn't Kaseya spend some money and hire a "Jeff" for BUDR? They are seriously mocking those of us that have been patient with all the problems it has had over the years.

But rather than just venting/ranting/complaining about this, my question is: what can we collectively do about it? Other than Jeff Keyes, almost no one from Kaseya actually cares enough to join in these forum discussions. Does anyone have any realistic suggestions what we as a group can do to put pressure on Kaseya (and Acronis via Kaseya) to get some of these issues resolved and to keep BUDR progressing (such as getting the Exchange and SQL modules as part of BUDR)?

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • Recently, I opted out of BUDR. We paid some thousands of dollars over the course of last year but no more. Because BUDR works 97% of time I really really hate to do this. But, oh, that 3%. Can't have that 3% disaster. At least when Veritas failed the server still ran. I mean seriously, can't it just fail and not blow the damn servers up?

So, kentschu, to answer your question directly: hit them where it hurts. That is only way Kaseya will get the message. I hate to do this because it is so close to working so good, but I can't do this to my clients.

• support@hdtech.com
    Recently, I opted out of BUDR. We paid some thousands of dollars over the course of last year but no more. Because BUDR works 97% of time I really really hate to do this. But, oh, that 3%. Can't have that 3% disaster. At least when Veritas failed the server still ran. I mean seriously, can't it just fail and not blow the damn servers up?

So, kentschu, to answer your question directly: hit them where it hurts. That is only way Kaseya will get the message. I hate to do this because it is so close to working so good, but I can't do this to my clients.

My company is the same way. Acronis/BUDR works great most of the time, but that exyra little bit kills us. We are currently testing Falconstor and so far loving it. It has options to perform live mirrors of server drives, database backups without stopping database, exchange message recovery, and it seems to work great.

Legacy Posted By Username: JonJohnston
  • I spoke to support today now that the ticket is TWO WEEKS OLD.

They want me to send log files for Acronis to look at. I said to them "Wait - so instead of Kaseya taking this seriously, and finally fixing BUDR, they're going to look at ONE server, and see how they can band-aid that.

Response: "My job is to solve my tickets".

Me: But there are COUNTLESS reports of this, going back litterally YEARS about this issue. Why not fix BUDR instead of one instance?

Response: "I don't have time to go into the forums. I focus on my tickets"

Me: Ok but this is a widespread issue that Kaseya should be looking at. BUDR needs to be fixed! We're paying for the product AND for MAINTENANCE. and this is an ONGOING problam that is HURTING your customers, and THEIR clients.

Response: I can't speak for Kaseya. I can just focus on my tickets. If you send me the logs I'll send them to Acronis and see what they say

Wow. anyone else going to DUMP BUDR?

Legacy Posted By Username: Interprom
  • Interprom, what a funny post. I have an email draft (started today @ 11am) to my Kaseya rep that says the same thing you are saying here. To wit, they are not taking this seriously and the fact they want to zero in on event logs and crap like that is simply insane. My point to my rep was exactly that: how are they going to fix the issue in this forum by looking at my event logs???

I'm going to send my email and copy your post to him as well.

• kentschu
    I strongly agree with most of the sentiments expressed in this thread.

1) BUDR has great potential and works great 90% of the time. But a BUDR product/service needs closer to 100% success and when it does fail, it needs to not actually cause disasters (i.e. grey screens, blue screens, etc.). The fact that Kaseya has not taken this seriously even though we've been struggling along with many of you for years on these issues, is very disappointing. Apparantly they have been spending their development dollars on a bunch of new future modules and functions that many of us don't want/need.
    2) KES has been turned around and is now actually becoming a really stellar module in large part to the role that Jeff has played. We would not have moved off of our stand-alone AVG without the pricing adjustments they recently made and the stellar work that Jeff's been doing. Why doesn't Kaseya spend some money and hire a "Jeff" for BUDR? They are seriously mocking those of us that have been patient with all the problems it has had over the years.

But rather than just venting/ranting/complaining about this, my question is: what can we collectively do about it? Other than Jeff Keyes, almost no one from Kaseya actually cares enough to join in these forum discussions. Does anyone have any realistic suggestions what we as a group can do to put pressure on Kaseya (and Acronis via Kaseya) to get some of these issues resolved and to keep BUDR progressing (such as getting the Exchange and SQL modules as part of BUDR)?

I hear ya. Though, I don't think they can just hire a "Jeff" for BUDR to solve this. With KES, most of the problems were not with AVG, but they were problems with the Kaseya code. Jeff was able to run through the problems (his team is very dedicated).

With BUDR, the problems we are experiencing are 100% in the Acronis code. If you have stand alone Acronis you will experience the same problems we are experiencing.

I know the team that is in charge of BUDR at Kaseya and they are some of the sharpest people. Very dedicated and love to fix problems. I think that about 2 years ago that Kaseya hit a wall with Acronis. Acronis just won't fix this problem.

How many times has Acronis said that they would have "true" Microsoft Shadow Copy support in their next version - and then not produce. This current version says it has shadow copy but it's still not. It's just a hack to chill the databases with Shadow Copy, and then they use their own technology for the snapshot. That's why you will see about 20-30 event logs errors at the beginning of every backup (if you have shadow copy enabled).

Though I agree with many people who own BUDR, we expect Kaseya to-do whatever it takes to make this work. Even if it means we move to a new backup software engine (like shadow protect). I can only imagine that Kaseya is responsible for about 1 million copies of Acronis or more, you would think they have some pull with Acronis. Maybe Acronis is impossible to work with. Who knows.

The bottom line, I know for a fact that Kaseya really cares about these problems. Though, I do agree we need a solution no matter what.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • far182,

I might agree that there may be a few BUDR folks at Kaseya who care.

However, they really don't seem (at least to me) show it. I spoke with two of the senior K BUDR product folks at the K USer Conf in May, and if I take them at their word, they told me that the knew of no problems with the current release of BUDR - all known problems had been fixed with the latest release (last Fall or so). How could this be true? How cold they not know of the problems that server crashes and VSS issues that many people have posted? They did not seem to follow the forum, at all. Whereas Jeff seems to have his finger on the pulse of KES users, through direct discussions, and through participation in the USer Forum. I bet Jeff is aware of most KES issues reported.

I do agree with you that many/most of the BUDR issues may be with the Acronis product itself. So K Staff are not in a position to fix. But I believe it is is the lack of caring, or at least the appearance of lack of caring, that is super frustrating to many BUDR users, in addition to having the actual techncial problems.

So far, I have only purchased a 50 node license (made earlier this year), just for testing purposes. And at this point, I am holding off on my plans for the larger BUDR purchase - mostly due to the problems outlined in forum posts like this one. I was just about ready to purchase a 500 or 1,000 node BUDR license. But have helf off. Me and my money are waiting on the sidelines.

While on the other hand, at the exact same time I purchased the 50 BUDR licenses for testing, I also purchased 100 KES licenses for testing, then a few months later I purchased an additional 200 KES licenses for more testing (after some initial success with the first test, but things were still not perfect). And next week, I will be purchasing my first larger KES purchase of about 2,000 nodes. We are migrating all of our clients away from Symantec, and moving to KES.

As I said, earleir this year I spoke with some of the senior BUDR K Staff at the User Conf, as well as had some prior and followup telephone discussions and email exchanges. In addition to the server lockup and VSS issues that I have seen others report, I had a few concerns about support for multiple backup schedules, and direct support from Acronis in case of a major issue during a server restore. I received extremely short answers, and zero followup at all.

My experiences this year, with evaluating KES and evaluating BUDR, over the very same time window, could not have been more different. Some of it maye be the underlying products and the underlying tech support from the vendors (AVG versus Acronis). But also, some of it is just in the very different level of participation by K Staff - Jeff being a great example of how it can be done well. And my money is license purchases shows that his high level of participation can definately be tired to K winning more business from me.

There is a definately a chance that they care. But unfortunately, they really don't seem to show/demonstrate it, at least not IMHO.

Just my two cents..

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • Good morning all,

Lloyd, you hit the nail on the head.

I am a current adopter of BUDR with 70 servers and 380 workstations. I have went through 3 major server failures in the past 90 days, and each of these servers were using BUDR (1 - File Server, 1 - File server with DC & SQL, 1 - Mail Server). In each case we were able to recover the actual server without having to resort to using the backup. However, if we had needed to go to the backup, I was not as comfortable with BUDR as I needed to be. Why? Because of the following:

-> AD Restores - BUDR is not AD Aware so it does nothing special to backup AD.
    -> Exchange DB aware - Once again, BUDR is not application aware of the Exch DB.
    -> SQL DB aware - Once again, BUDR is not application aware of the SQL DB.
    -> VSS Problems - If you turn on VSS with BUDR, you'll run the risk of blue screening (or grey screening) the server you are doing this with.

So as far as I'm concerned:
    -> BUDR is great for getting a file level backup
    -> Really good at bare metal recovery
    -> Good at disimilar hardware restores
    -> Sucks at DB backups (Exch and SQL & AD).
    -> What about after hours support???? Most emergencies roll into after hours.

This is definitely not good enough. Right now I am telling EVERYONE that if you are looking at buying this product, wait. It DOES NOT give you a complete enough solution for you to offer to your clients. You WILL HAVE TO use additional 3rd party products to be able to get a complete backup that your clients will need. And this is not good enough.

Now what I'd like to hear from Kaseya (and frankly, many others would as well) is what are they doing to address this?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I use BUDR on dell and HP servers: some 2003 SBS but mostly STD 2003. I have never used VSS, namely because of the users in this forum who all but warned me about it. I have 3 servers that seem to be affected by the BUDR curse: typically a STOP error then reboot. Sometimes the GSOD. Support pointed out a common STOP errorr: 0x805000f, and it seems as if that is pretty consistant. There is a hotfix for this and support recommended I apply it. Here's the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937455. Has anyone gone down this road before?

Just because Dell doesn't manufacture my motherboard, doesn't mean they are not responsible for fixing it...

• Out of curiosity has anyone seen these issues on Server 2008 boxes?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Good question! I cannot confirm or deny this cause I haven't paid direct attention to this. Has anyone else noticed if this issue occurs with Windows 2008 32bit and/or 64bit OS's?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj