Kaseya Community

BUDR STILL grey screen's servers!

• We are once again facing the GREY SCREEN issue with a customers server and BUDR.

I've submitted a ticket - 189767, but this issue has been going on since V2.

Does Kaseya have NO PLANS to address this??

Legacy Forum Name: BUDR STILL grey screen's servers!,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Interprom
  • I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings at Kaseya. We are still also having this problem since 3 years now. Problem still isn't fixed.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Yup, just happened to me again last night. Had to make the embarrasing call to our client that OUR backup program hung their server (for the third time in 6 months) again and they have to power it off/on.

-Dan

Legacy Posted By Username: DNeuwir
  • Are any of these servers running (or has running on it) Veritas or Brightstor backup agents?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • We also continue to have grey-screen crashes when using BUDR in certain configurations (usually VSS incremental backups) on some servers.
    It just doesn't make sense that we pay a lot of money to buy and maintain a feature to protect our clients systems in case of disaster and yet the product itself is causing disasters.

Has anyone had any useful fixes? We've tried all the usual VSS fixes without finding anything that consistently fixes the problem.

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • I had this problem as well, and the only thing that helped was running the snapAPI.msi update. Also, making sure I was not running audits at the same time.

Legacy Posted By Username: support@hdtech.com
  • I don't know for sure, but i suspect low disk space on the C:\(relative) might also cause issues. After using BUDR in this capacity for almost a full year: two quick posts pretty much exhaust all insight I have!

• support@hdtech.com
    Also, making sure I was not running audits at the same time.

Interesting. I never thought of this. I will make that change right away and see if that makes a difference. I know we have machines auditing at the same time backup is running.

For the person above trying to link this issue to "other" software on servers. I have had this gray screen issue on clean/fresh servers with nothing but Windows 2003 and Kaseya on them. For example, our Kserver is currently one of the Grey Screen victims. We had to disable VSS to solve it (sadly). Our Kserver is the most steril server around. It absolutely has nothing but Windows 2003 Ent, Sql 2005, and Kaseya on it. It's on a HP DL380 G5 with loads of CPU and memory with SAS drives. The box was purchased and built from ground up to be our Kserver.

My bottom line opinion is that the Grey Screen issue is 100% to-do with acronis. Acronis steals/corrupts OS memory and never releases it. Basically the OS stack runs dry and hangs.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I have found the gray screen to occur when VSS is enabled, so I too had to disable VSS to prevent this issue. I would like to see Acronis fix the VSS issue.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • i have opened a ticket on this as well because it does not make sense that it works sometimes on some servers. My backlup log for some clients is perfect but others can't get it to work a full month straight. From what I see, I think far182 has the answer and Acronis just doens't work in this capacity. One thing I have seen, too, is that KES forum has Jeff constantly working those issues. Who do we have over here to help us out?

• support@hdtech.com
    Who do we have over here to help us out?

No one. Sad

The BUDR ecosystem *really* needs its own "Jeff".

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Coldfirex
    No one. Sad

The BUDR ecosystem *really* needs its own "Jeff".

Coldfirex,

I TOTALLY agree. I have been very impressed with the attention displayed by Jeff Keyes with the KES product. My company has decided to dump Symantec (after being with the product for 10+ years) and switch our clients to KES. I am 1000% sure that we would not have made this major decision to switch without Jeff's direct involvement, attention and support.

On the otherhand, there is BUDR. We have been have been considering a much larger investment in BUDR for quite a while (ight now we only have a BUDR 50 license, but would be looking for a BUDR 1000 license, or even higher). I have seen little involvement by the BUDR product team. I have tried to reach out to them several times, and after waiting what I felt was too long for a response, I received very short answers and zero followup. And I see virtually no involvement in the User Forum from anyone on the BUDR product team.

It is a shame, becuase my business is there, if K would step up. But until that happens, me and my money are sitting on the sidelines.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • I agree as well and even made this comment at the Kaseya conference in Vegas this year with the BUDR team.

Their initial comment is that a suppor tticket should always be created istead of posting to the forum as the support system isn't involved with the forum like the KES team is.

I strongly suggested they start monitoring the forums and have a "Jeff" like representitive that can assist when trends are detected in the forum. I felt as if my recommendation was annoying to them and was directed back to support.

With that stated, I have to admit using support is good, but I like the fact we all share here and learn from each other on issues that may face our client environments.

I believe this forum is a great place we should be using to keep our conversations active and share what support has stated the problem may be and the resolution to said problem. Then we all can learn what issues may or maynot be effecting our clients with the BUDR software.

Kaseya - We are asking you get more active here and help us implement "Best Practices" of BUDR. The more your client's (us consultants) know about the pros and cons and implementation of BUDR the better we can run and manage it for our clients. It would be great to get updates on BUDR Documents, Troubleshooting documents, etc as we tend to find these after we have the issue vs. prior to having the issue. We all look foward to your involvement so we can assist each other with your product!

Regards,

joe

Legacy Posted By Username: itgurullc
  • as an update: I got kaseya to call me back yesterday because my servers are either rebooting themselves (BSOD) during the backups or GSOD. After an hour on the phone (plus a month of email support) all I got was: run windows updates. Oh, and it wasn't a BUDR thing because that "shouldn't" cause reboots. Well, BUDR causes stop errors and that causes reboots. grrrr
    (I have this on 2 servers (same domain, even) out of 41.)

• have you tried the acronis 9.7 or are you using 9.5? I was told to try this for a replication of offsite problem to help with reducing this problem. Maybe it might help with your problem

Legacy Posted By Username: gdoubinin