Kaseya Community

Using BU-DR to clone computers

• Hey is it possible to use the BU-DR Acronis system to create an image file that i can then use to "restore" about a dozen computers to minimize time needed to deploy them for clients?

Legacy Forum Name: Using BU-DR to clone computers,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Bennett Young
  • Yes... but make sure to use sysprep (you want to randomize the GUID and other things).

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Ah, sysprep combined with making the backup of the volume after that, thank you Boudj and Andrew from tech support. Going to test this out now.

• ***Edit

Well apparently Safe version just needed a try or two to get it right, after a reboot and a third attempt Safe mode was able to see both my hard drive and my flash drive. Thanks for the information Tech support and Boudj

• If you are backing up with the Kaseya agent in place, you must remove and reinstall it each time you make a new machine from it! Otherwise you will have all "child" machines of this procedure checking into the KServer with the same Kaseya GUID!

You can detect this situation by looking at the "Configuration Changes" log and looking for machines that switch names constantly... it means that multiple machines are checking in with the same GUID; and every time one checks in it changes the name in Kaseya to its own name, which lasts until the next machine checks in and changes the name.

The worst I saw was a single GUID with 4 machines attached to it... reinstalled 3 of them with fresh agents and everything was fine.

Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels