Kaseya Community

Offsiting your Offsite server on a local lan for a redundant copy

• I have a total of 3 offsite servers.

Two of these servers are used to recieve the data from my many different local servers/machines being backed up.

I would like to know if I can take the 3rd un-used server and make Offsite1 and Offsite2 copy the data to the 3rd server? In essence giving me a redundant copy of information from both the offsite servers.

Is this possible when all three servers reside on the same local LAN?

Is Windows 2008 64bit a supported OS for an offsite server, I was unable to locate any specifications anywhere....

Thanks guys!

Legacy Forum Name: Offsiting your Offsite server on a local lan for a redundant copy,
    Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • Could you please clarify.. the systems being backed up are at your client's location or are they all your own systems?

Why not use a sync tool to replicate the data?

z

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: razmataz
  • razmataz
    Why not use a sync tool to replicate the data?

Because we paid for a management portal, and it's easier to manage your IT when everything relating to IT is inside that portal. It's the same argument for getting BUDR over StorageCraft, or KES over any other AV. Integration is nice. Smile

To answer the original question, yes, you can do this. When you're setting up the off-site server, enter the local LAN IP of the third server. Then, setup local servers on each of the other two off-site servers and tell them to off-site their data to the third server. It's tough to explain this in a readable manner...

Esentially, just set it up like normal, using the internal IP address of the third server instead of an external IP like you would have for other off-site locations. It is definitely possible to use the "off-site" function to replicate data within a LAN. We're doing this, and it works fine.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • I am also looking to do this. I plan on having one drive for the backups and then setup a local lan offsite share. What I plan on doing is swapping two different drives at the offsite location.

Is this what you are doing or is the offsite always connected?

I am just wondering if there are any caveats with the situation I described above and if it is even possible.

Essentially, I want the client to plug in a USB drive to a server that is set up as the local offsite. Wait a few hours or so and have all the data from the backup drive copied. Then the user disconnects the drive and takes it offsite. The next day or the next week, whenever the client wants, then can plug in a different drive and have the same process occur.

Thanks for any help.

arobar
    Because we paid for a management portal, and it's easier to manage your IT when everything relating to IT is inside that portal. It's the same argument for getting BUDR over StorageCraft, or KES over any other AV. Integration is nice. Smile

To answer the original question, yes, you can do this. When you're setting up the off-site server, enter the local LAN IP of the third server. Then, setup local servers on each of the other two off-site servers and tell them to off-site their data to the third server. It's tough to explain this in a readable manner...

Esentially, just set it up like normal, using the internal IP address of the third server instead of an external IP like you would have for other off-site locations. It is definitely possible to use the "off-site" function to replicate data within a LAN. We're doing this, and it works fine.

Legacy Posted By Username: GDRBrian
  • Just make sure the client swaps out the correct drive. If they swap the source drive with an empty one, everything is gone.

Legacy Posted By Username: kroberts210