Kaseya Community

Best NAS device (In your own opinion)

• Recently we purchased a Buffalo Terastation Pro 2

I was disapointed with the transfer speeds...

They were capping out around 20MBps using Gigabit ethernet.

What device, do you think, is the best to use for BUDR purposes?

Confused

Legacy Forum Name: Best NAS device (In your own opinion),
    Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • The Buffalo's are terrible. They have GB NICs but the processor can't keep up.

We use Netgear/Infrant ReadyNAS devices. They work well.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: tech92117
  • We have experienced rather disappointing speeds from IOMEGA Store Center 150d's. I too am looking for a faster NAS appliance.

I came across this NAS comparison website a few months ago, when doing NAS reseach.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • lwolf,

you found the same comparison that I did Cool

What I am wondering is if it is any cheaper to build a white box pc, or if someone knows of a better prodcut that has better transfer rates (in there own experience).

And the highest ranking NAS (i saw) was the Netgear ReadyNAS Pro (RNDP6350-100NAS) for 2k.

Well, for 2k I can build alot of things...

I could built a quad core white box PC, with Gigbit nics and expensive 10.000 RPM drives, but I don't know that I will get the same or similar results.

That is what I am hoping to find out, if someone has already done the research I am getting ready to do...

• I second the Buffalo poor performance. One backup at a time is all ours can handle, more than that and the unit bogs down.

Legacy Posted By Username: trebligb
  • I use an Intel SS4200-E. Last night’s Job rate was 1,231.00MB/min. Total elapsed time= 2hrs.

It’s worked well for us so far, but it does have some short comings. You can only use 2 or 4 drives (So no 3 drive RAID 5). And it’s not hot swappable like the previous model (SS4000-E Mad) which was a terrible product.

Keep in mind I don’t use Kaseya BU-DR. I use Backup Exec.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • pbrophy
    I use an Intel SS4200-E. Last night’s Job rate was 1,231.00MB/min. Total elapsed time= 2hrs.

It’s worked well for us so far, but it does have some short comings. You can only use 2 or 4 drives (So no 3 drive RAID 5). And it’s not hot swappable like the previous model (SS4000-E Mad) which was a terrible product.

Keep in mind I don’t use Kaseya BU-DR. I use Backup Exec.

Have you compared backup speeds between the 4200s and the old 4000s by chance?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • I do have it, but it is unavailable at the moment. Will get back to you tomorrow.

Legacy Posted By Username: pbrophy
  • We have been using Thecus units and while not a "name" brand they are doing the job well.

Legacy Posted By Username: Steve Morris
  • Cool, and thanks for this information guys... I am trying to find one that is just faster than this buffalo.

I can't backup a 200GB server to a nas at 25-30MBs

• GrantB
    What I am wondering is if it is any cheaper to build a white box pc, or if someone knows of a better prodcut that has better transfer rates (in there own experience)

FreeNAS is great, I find it very stable and useable.
    Still in Beta though.

Legacy Posted By Username: jim.pizzey
  • jim.pizzey
    FreeNAS is great, I find it very stable and useable.
    Still in Beta though.

Uh, being that it is an Open Source project that was started back in March 2006 it will probably always be "in beta". Big Smile

One of the things I found as a weakness in FreeNAS is lack of hardware RAID support.

In fact, the biggest weakness in FreeNAS is it's hardware support. Since it's built on FreeBSD and not Linux the hardware choices are rather limited. Check thier own KB article on the issue:

http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=293

User submitted HCL here:
    http://www.freenas.org/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=30&id=freenas_users_hardware

FreeBSD HCL here:
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.3R/hardware-i386.html

Legacy Posted By Username: misolutions.com
  • I really like the Thecus N5200- 5 drive empty NAS cage. With 5x500GB Seagate enterprise SATA drives, a compressed server image of 105GB is taking 51min to complete (with BUDR 2)- do the math. Not the cheapest NAS cage, but speeds are great IMO.

Ben Ahlquist
    ByteSmart Services

Legacy Posted By Username: bytesmart
  • Take a look at the Cisco SMB or aka Linksys NSS6000. Works well for us.

Buffalo is NG.

Legacy Posted By Username: lgarnier
  • We use the TS-509 Pro from QNAP [http://www.qnap.com/] and we are very happy with the results. It can handle multiple backups, has quick transfer rates (dual gigabit nics for failover), and allows hot swapping of the SATA drives. We are thinking of upgrading to the TS-639 Pro in the near future (for more storage).

Legacy Posted By Username: jcoleman