Kaseya Community

BUDR and Backup Exec on Same Server

• Am I correct that you should not have Backup Exec on the same server?

Legacy Forum Name: BUDR and Backup Exec on Same Server,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rvines@axcelltech.com
  • I think Backup Exec will coexist, but IIRC you have to uninstall it, install BU*DR, then reinstall BackupExec (your mileage may vary based on BEX version).
    I think if you put BU*DR over BEX it blows up BEX's use of shadow copy and all hell breaks loose... since BU*DR only uses part of Shadow Copy's functionality or something like that.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Matthew Bartels
  • Here's what I got when I asked Kaseya support:

Date: 15:48:38 8-Jan-09
    Hi,

To my knowledge, this is still the case. You are free to test this, however we believe there are still co-existance issues.

Regards,

I would LOVE to have confirmation on this, and details for ways to work around it if possible. Our current rule is that we won't install it on anyone that's running backup exec. This kills our sales process ...

Legacy Posted By Username: csousa@radicalsupport.com
  • I am newer to BUDR... but, I have BUDR installed on one server running Windows Server 2008 32-bit, another running SBS2003 - both are running Backup Exec v12.5 (full version).

I also have BUDR installed on one server running Windows Server 2008 32-bit, and another running Windows Server 2003 32-bit - both are running Backup Exec v12.5 Remoet Agent.

Have not experienced any issues... at least not so far.

Lloyd

Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf
  • We have 2 SBS2003 installations running both BUDR and BEX, the only time we had issues was with another SBS2003 install with Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition where after installing BUDR and trying a backup the server would BSOD. So we removed BEX.

Legacy Posted By Username: philipj@itwest.biz
  • We have several servers that have SBE as well as BUDR installed. We have never had any issues with them co-existing, but Support has told us we should uninstall SBE.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • csousa@radicalsupport.com
    Here's what I got when I asked Kaseya support:

Date: 15:48:38 8-Jan-09
    Hi,

To my knowledge, this is still the case. You are free to test this, however we believe there are still co-existance issues.

Regards,

I would LOVE to have confirmation on this, and details for ways to work around it if possible. Our current rule is that we won't install it on anyone that's running backup exec. This kills our sales process ...

csousa,

Hi. Could you please provide the ticket # when K Support told you this? I would like to check with some senior Kaseya folks that I met at the USer Conference for more clarification.

Thanks!

Lloyd

• ~ticId='163986

For the record: I've had 3 seperate servers blue screen and require a fresh OS install due to BackupExec and Acronis (confirmed by Kaseya and Acronis). However, this was a few years ago. I stopped using BUDR for a while, and when I got back into I asked support about the conflict.

Because I've been burned, we don't put BUDR on anything with BackupExec. We are losing a lot of potential of revenue because of this. Would be nice if we could combine the two and start making some more money with BUDR ...

• I exchanged an email message today with someone at Kaseya who works with BUDR. The response I received was...

====================
    They will conflict and we have no way of knowing when and if they would.
    ====================

I have to say, that sounds VERY SCARY to me, that BUDR/Acronis will conflict with Symantec Backup Exec.

We have been spending a lot of time getting our sales materials ready to make a major push of BUDR/Acronis to all of our clients. But, almost every single server we support has Symantec Backup Exec installed. If installing BUDR/Acronis will introduce issues, I cannot risk it.

Lloyd

• I would have to second Lloyd's comments on this. 80% of our clients have backup exec for backup to tape. We are hopin to use BUDR as an additional backup/DR but this ouwld almost be a deal breaker. I wonder if shadow protect has the same issue?

Legacy Posted By Username: eddy@dgs.com.au
  • The issue is a VSS driver conflict, and the potential is there on any system with 2 robust backup products installed that have even the option to use their own VSS drive. Even if you don't install the AOFO with BackupExec, it still installs the driver for it, so that if / when you want to use it it's available. Same with Acronis - even if you don't clikc the "VSS" button in Kaseya, the driver is still installed and ready to be used. I've talked to other backup vendors who claim there's no issue, but when I asked about VSS drivers they could never give me a straight answer.

For this issue in particular - Kaseya / Acronis says that if Acronis is installed first and backup exec second it will work fine. We talked to Symantec and were told that as long as BackupExec is installed first it will work fine.

Serious deal breaker for a lot of clients ...

• I sent a followup message to my contact at Kaseya... to clarify that I was specifically asking about conflicts with the “classic” file-level and OS-level Symantec Backup Exec software (formerly Veritas Backup Exec, formerly Seagate Backup Exec), not the newer Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) disk imaging software.

The response was "Our official position is that we do not support BUDR and any other backup solution on the same system. There are conflicts with VSS that cause problems on any system that have more than one backup solution on them. Hope this helps."

It is frustrating since BUDR doesn’t offer any backup solutions for Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, SharePoint, etc. – so I don’t feel comfortable relying strictly on BUDR.

I am about ready to give up on the whole BUDR idea. I have been planning on implementing, and spending A LOT of time on it, but in the end, we’ve been doing fine without it. Everyone is running Backup Exec - backing up every file, on everry server, every night. For our clients who are interested in imaging, they are using Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery (BESR) and don’t’ have any issues with it conflicting with “regular” Backup Exec. Yes, BE and BESR doen't integrate with Kaseya. But, they play nicely together, and don't make me loose any sleep over crashed servers due to conflicts.

Their loss, I suppose. I don’t have time for this, and am probably just going to move on without it.

Just my two cents, and how I am feelign tonight. Maybe I will feel differently tomorrow.

Lloyd