Kaseya Community

Backup failed - Verify + error parsing the backup log

• Hello,

I get 2 errors with my kaseya image mail. (3 mails total)
    It's a backup of a server, and it's not rebooting during backup.

Mail 1: Backup of 'SERVER' completed successfully at 04:32:08 17-Mar-09.
    Mail 2: Backup failed at 08:27:50 17-Mar-09 - Backup failed - verification failed.
    Mail 3: Backup failed at 08:27:50 17-Mar-09 - Backup failed - There was an error parsing the backup log for this machine.

Does anybody know why i receive this mails. sometimes i only get the first one. but most of the time all 3.
    I already searched the forum, the only thing i found was somebody with mail 3. But he was backupping a Laptop wich was rebooting.

thanks.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup failed - Verify + error parsing the backup log,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RDX
  • does anybody know?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
  • Still nobody?

• i actually just got the same thing last night. backup ran fine but verify failed. i think this means data changed since the backup ran. im gonna let it roll one more night. if it still fails i may remove the verify feature to see if i can access the backed up data.

Legacy Posted By Username: saybrook
  • saybrook
    i actually just got the same thing last night. backup ran fine but verify failed. i think this means data changed since the backup ran. im gonna let it roll one more night. if it still fails i may remove the verify feature to see if i can access the backed up data.

I also noticed that in the weekend the backup ran normal, en on the weekdays i got the error. so i also think it has something to do with it beeing in use. But we also have online backup and tape, so maybe thats causing the problems. Also sometimes it runs perfectly for a week, and then bad for a week, a bit strange.

Let me know if you find something.

• RDX
    I also noticed that in the weekend the backup ran normal, en on the weekdays i got the error. so i also think it has something to do with it beeing in use. But we also have online backup and tape, so maybe thats causing the problems. Also sometimes it runs perfectly for a week, and then bad for a week, a bit strange.

Let me know if you find something.

Having the same problem on one SQL Server, have guessed it is to do with the data changing since the backup ran. The backup is taking 1hr to run and the verify is taking 3.5hrs???

I have successfully restored images that have failed with the error 'Backup failed - There was an error parsing the backup log for this machine'.

Anyone else with more info would be appreciated.

Jono
    PC King

Legacy Posted By Username: pcking
  • We see this too and have no answers...

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • This is what i got from kaseya a while ago.

For verification issue please follw the below link:

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=281149&p=11855

Parsing Error,This message indicates that the network path that the backup is trying to access is not available at the time required.

Please take a look at this document to troubleshoot this.

http://kb.kaseya.com/article.asp?article=300806&p=11855

Regards

Kaseya Support

• We're seeing this issue consistently across a number of systems (about 5-6 systems consistently).

The above posting leads me to believe that Kaseya believes the backup product is not at fault, and it's simply a "hardware" or "networking" issue. I'm doubtful of this---some of these machines that are exhibiting this problem are brand-new or nearly new, on high-quality hardware and networking components (Gigabit Ethernet, managed switches, SATA or SAS backup target drives, etc.), and exhibit absolutely no symptoms of any networking trouble other than BU-DR can't seem to read its own backup catalog and verify a file.

To be sure, we'll run mass network copy and compare cycles outside of BU-DR, but based upon my experience I'm gravitating toward a flaw in the product, not a flaw in the "hardware" that I'm running it on.

-Dan

Legacy Posted By Username: DNeuwir
  • We see it on two of our systems. One is using BU-DR and Online backup and one is only using BU-DR.
    Today they both where succesfull. Yesterday they both where unsuccesfull.
    But they are not always the same. So i can't really find the pattern yet.

Edit: I just got 2 extra failed mails. but they were very late Smile

1) Backup of 'Server' completed successfully at 03:07:13 28-May-09.
    2) Backup failed at 10:11:41 28-May-09 - Backup failed - There was an error parsing the backup log for this machine.
    3) Backup failed at 10:11:41 28-May-09 - Backup failed - verification failed.

It's a bit strange why the failed messages come so late. And also this server isn't very busy. There is even the chance that knowone is using the server.

• We had similar problems with our backups when we had Verify enabled. We ended up disabling Verify altogether on the machines it continued occurring on. The thing we also noticed was that the error only occurred on machines that backed up a large amount data (150+ GB).

The only resolution we were able to find was what someone else on the forums had suggested at one point - increase the page file. That solved the problem for awhile. If it started happening again - after we got to the point where we had 10+ GB page files, we ended up just disabling verify on those machines.

Legacy Posted By Username: mbearden
  • I'm getting a report from a server that the backup was successful (167GB) but this warning pops up in Kaseya's reports.

Backup completed successfully - WARNING: BudrLib.BackupException: Failed to parse archive index: at BudrLib.BackupUtilities.GetFirstOrLatestTibIndex(String minOrMax, Int32 backupParamsId, BackupType type) at BudrLib.BackupUtilities.GetLastFullTibIndex(Int32 backupParamsId, BackupType type) at BudrLib.BackupUtilities.GetFirstDifferentialTibIndex(Int32 backupParamsId, BackupType type) at BudrLib.Scripts.DifferentialCleanupPrep..ctor(String agentGuid, BackupType type, BackupParameters parameters, Int32 indexOfJustCreatedTib) at BudrLib.BackupJob.ProcessSuccessfulBackup()

I'm not sure if its related to the above but I didn't want to create a new thread in case it was. Anyone know what could be causing this and propose a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Legacy Posted By Username: onserve
  • mbearden
    We had similar problems with our backups when we had Verify enabled. We ended up disabling Verify altogether on the machines it continued occurring on. The thing we also noticed was that the error only occurred on machines that backed up a large amount data (150+ GB).

The only resolution we were able to find was what someone else on the forums had suggested at one point - increase the page file. That solved the problem for awhile. If it started happening again - after we got to the point where we had 10+ GB page files, we ended up just disabling verify on those machines.

I really wish Kaseya or Acronis would step up and help with this issue. We see this waaaaay too much.

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Had this happening on 2 servers recently after an upgrade to server 2003, VSS was no enabled and the machines where quite small system wise but had large amounts of data.

I have turned on VSS to see if this make any difference tonight, it has been failing verify for about a week.

Legacy Posted By Username: philipj@itwest.biz
  • I get this from time to time. Kaseya Support pointed to bad hard drives as a possibility. I find if I restart the server the problem goes away. Not a good fix but the best I can do without access to Acronis Support.

Legacy Posted By Username: edguyer