Kaseya Community

How do you backup your Kaseya server?

• I'm interested to learn what the best practices are for backing up the kaseya server in such a away that you have zero down time in a worse case scenario (flood, fire, etc) completely ruining the kaseya box and facilities where it's located. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Do you run redundant kaseya servers (one on site and on at a colo), etc?
    Thank you ahead of time.
    Etrabal

Legacy Forum Name: How do you backup your Kaseya server?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: etrabal
  • Hey,

We just run ShadowProtect on our server. Worst case scenario, we can get a spare box and should have the image restored in an hour or two (data transfer being the key here).

When we first put ShadowProtect on the K server, we thought we'd go for hourly or 15 minute incrementals, however we found the server slowed down considerably when we did this.

To get around this, we just do an incremental every night in the wee hours. If you really wanted your restores to be up to date you could go 2 or 4 hours, but we don't bother.

Cheers,
    Chris

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • Isn't that product like Acronis? IF so, why not use what we already have built in?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • And on a different note: Did anyone ever get a recommendation from K about using BUDR to protect our K server (did they recommend this?).

• I've been using BUDR on our K-server for several months without any problems...

Legacy Posted By Username: benny@geeksaknockin.com
  • I would not really expect any problems with using BUDR to image your server... however several people (over the past 2 yrs) in support have recommended not using BUDR on the K server and to go with a different vendors solutions instead. I would like to find out if this is still the case.

• I remember seeing something awhile ago about backup up Kserver using budr, relating to the password for the tib. That if the server dies you cant get the password from Kaseya.

We use BUDR3 to backup our Kserver and just use a specific password for the Kserver image which is recorded elsewhere.

Legacy Posted By Username: philipj@itwest.biz
  • I wonder if anybody has ever tested doing a restore of their K server - using BUDR or whatever? If so, have they restored to different hardware?

Legacy Posted By Username: ReedMikel
  • BTW, as a newbie I'm wondering what a "tib" is?

• ReedMikel
    I wonder if anybody has ever tested doing a restore of their K server - using BUDR or whatever? If so, have they restored to different hardware?

We've done this. Originally we setup our K server in a virtual environment, but found that we hit a resource limit and needed to move it to a dedicated box. We took a quick incremental image and were able to restore it to new hardware within a few hours. This was with BUDR2, and we've found BUDR3 to be quite a bit better so I'm sure it works just as well now.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • ReedMikel
    BTW, as a newbie I'm wondering what a "tib" is?

A TIB is the file type that Acronis True Image backup archives have. Something along the lines of VolumeImage.tib, or FolderImage.tib.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Hey,

The reason we haven't gone down that path has been A: We have been a StorageCraft shop for quite some time now, and it really is a nice solid product.
    B: Every time i punch ShadowProtect vs. Acronis into Google, I hear horror stories I'd rather not learn more about.

If I'm wrong about Acronis, and it's reliable these days, I'd love to know. Also how does it deal with alternative hardware restores? Any issues? And finally, rolling up images for forever incrementals - does this feature exist?

Cheers,
    Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • Kaseya is a very simple program when it comes to backing up. It is nothing more than an ASP website with a database connection. You can backup the server in a number of ways but here are a few inexpensive (or free) ways of backing the server up.

1. Use a program like DriveImage XML (http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm). This uses VSS to make hot images of the drive. Works very well and even allows you to restore a drive without having to reboot.

2. There are just a few directories that really matter to Kaseya. Those are:
    kaseya_root\UserProfiles (exclude the @dbbackup since you will have this)
    kaseya_root\WebPages\ManagedFiles\VSASharedFiles
    kaseya_root\WebPages\ManagedFiles\private directorys for admins
    kaseya_root\WebPages\Themes
    Other than these folders, everything in Kaseya can be recreated on a new box very quickly. Back these folders and the database and you have backed up everything that Kaseya needs.

The only thing about using an imaging software is dealing with drivers. I see alot of people say that they have been running BUDR on there Kaseya server without a hitch, but I ask the question of how many times have you had to completely restore the server using that image? How many restore verifications have you went through? Thats why I try to backup what needs to be backed up for the application and leave the OS to a fresh load. You can have Windows Server on a machine very quickly these days, I would argue it can be done quicker than trying to restore a 30GB TIB. (trust me on this one,, experience here) Then use the XML restore to bring the system up to the previous state and not worry about drivers. You simple restore while its live and move from there.

These are just some ideas. I hope they are useful to you guys, but always remember, dont add complexity where complexity is not needed. Wink

In Christ,
    Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: Missing Link
  • arobar
    We've done this. Originally we setup our K server in a virtual environment, but found that we hit a resource limit and needed to move it to a dedicated box. We took a quick incremental image and were able to restore it to new hardware within a few hours. This was with BUDR2, and we've found BUDR3 to be quite a bit better so I'm sure it works just as well now.

Hi Alex,

We have done successful P-to-P server restores, but are finding that after we have restored the image, we have to rerun the OS installation CD in repair mode to get all the correct drivers installed for the new hardware. Sounds like you are not having this problem. Has anyone else been able to do a full bare metal image restore to dissimilar hardware without having to take any additional steps?

thx

-Tim Bass
    Langtech

Legacy Posted By Username: langtech
  • I was hoping to hear that BUDR3 worked flawlessly when restoring to dissimilar hardware. That's one of the primary reasons I'm contemplating purchasing it. I think I'll wait till I get more feedback from other BUDR3 users...