Kaseya Community

Verify failed - The machine was rebooted during the backup process.

• Looking at my Backup Logs, I noticed a Volume Incremental Backup Completed successfully. Followed by a "Verify failed - The machine was rebooted during the backup process."

Which made me think that, well, the machine was rebooted during the backup.

When I go to Backup Sets, the Reuslts that day shows "Failed". When I click ont he Failed link, the XML log fiel is displayed. Here is a copy & paste

===================
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> 
    - <log uuid="155945E2-3A9E-4003-A090-2865DF80777B" product="Acronis True Image Echo Server" version="9.5" build="8173">
      <event id="1" level="2" module="1" code="1008" time="1239929727" message="<bold>Create Incremental Backup Archive</bold><endl/><tabpoint value=30><indent value=4>From: <indent value=10><textcolor value="navyblue">Disk 1</textcolor></indent><indent value=4><endl/>To file: <indent value=10><textcolor value="navyblue">"\\iomega3\images\BESR\85602296960411024121741476\VolBackup\20090410 20.55.58\volBackup.tib"</textcolor></indent><indent value=4><endl/><textcolor value=0x00ff0000>Password protected</textcolor><endl/>Compression: <indent value=10><textcolor value="navyblue">Normal</textcolor></indent><indent value=4><endl/></indent>" /> 
      <event id="2" level="2" module="100" code="0" time="1239929728" message="Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:55:28 PM === Operation 1 of 4 == Creating partition image == Hard disk: 1 == Drive letter: - == Type: 0xDE (EISA configuration) == File system: FAT16 == Volume label: == Size: 94.10 MB ==" /> 
      <event id="3" level="2" module="100" code="0" time="1239929729" message="Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:55:29 PM === Operation 2 of 4 == Creating partition image == Hard disk: 1 == Drive letter: D: == File system: NTFS == Volume label: RECOVERY == Size: 2 GB ==" /> 
      <event id="4" level="2" module="100" code="0" time="1239929745" message="Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:55:45 PM === Operation 3 of 4 == Creating partition image == Hard disk: 1 == Drive letter: C: == File system: NTFS == Volume label: == Size: 146.9 GB ==" /> 
      <event id="5" level="2" module="100" code="0" time="1239930247" message="Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:04:07 PM === Operation 4 of 4 == Saving partition structure == Hard disk: 1 ==" /> 
      <event id="6" level="4" module="100" code="2" time="1239930247" message="Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:04:07 PM === Operation has succeeded." /> 
      </log>
    ===================

Which, unless I am missing something, looks liek the operation succeeded, and the XML appears to be the same for all the other shows that Show success.

So, do I have a good backup? or not?

Any idea what is going on?

Lloyd

Legacy Forum Name: Verify failed - The machine was rebooted during the backup process.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lwolf

[edited by: Brendan Cosgrove at 5:40 PM (GMT -8) on 12-20-2010] .
  • It's definitely possible for the verify to complete and then the PC to be rebooted. If the backup log hasn't been processed by Kaseya yet then you'll get this error (it's happened to us a few times, particularly if we're patching a workstation on the same night). Kaseya estimates how long a backup will take and schedules the processing script for that time. If a PC finishes a backup and then reboots before the processor script runs, the PC is considered to have "rebooted during backup".

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Alex,

Thanks very much. That makes sense.

We are currently evaluating BUDR. I am wondering if this problem happens very often. If I were to have BUDR installed on 1,000+ agents, I am wondering if this would happen a lot?

Normally about backups are scheduled duringthe evening, and patched between 1AM and 4AM, so I do think this one may have been a fluke. But, how bad is the estimator?

Lloyd

• I don't think I've seen it happen more than 3 times in the past 6 months. It's not common, and if you do see it happen then space things out a bit for that workstation. Fire the backup 30 minutes earlier or whatnot.

• I this this quite a bit if the a client has a long backup window and has odd patching times as well.
    Would it be possible for Kaseya to restart the Verify process of the backup if it is interrupted by a reboot?

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • You can manually run a verify from the Backup tab, but currently the process is not automatically restarted. Sounds like a good feature request though!

• arobar
    You can manually run a verify from the Backup tab, but currently the process is not automatically restarted. Sounds like a good feature request though!

Feature request sent in. Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Here is a copy & paste of my email exchange with K support
    Ticket ID: 180249

============================
    Author: laurent.kieffer
    Date: 16:15:19 20-Apr-09
    Lloyd,

You are true, that would make it more clear.

Unfortunately, this is not trivial to do. So we'll look at it for a future release.

Best regards,

Laurent Kieffer

Author: lloyd.wolf@wolfconsulting.com
    Date: 15:08:34 20-Apr-09

Laurent, Hello. Thank you for the reply. From what you explained, I understand that the backup process completed successfully. But that the machine was rebooted when the verify backup process was running, so it was interrupted and failed, "thinking" that the backup was not correct.

The error message said "Verify failed - The machine was rebooted during the backup process." Which made me think that, well, the machine was rebooted during the backup.

To help make this more clear, would it be possible for you to work with the developers to change the message logged to ""Verify failed - The machine was rebooted during the verify process."

Lloyd

Author: laurent.kieffer
    Date: 11:38:55 20-Apr-09
    Hi Lloyd,

Here is what I understand from you situation:

You have chosen the "Verify Backup" option for your backup schedules. Thus, when a backup is run, there are 2 different processes:

1: The backup process
    2: The verify backup process

In your case, the backup process was completed successfully as said by the green message in your backup logs.

Your machine was rebooted when the verify backup process was running, so it was interrupted and failed, "thinking" that the backup was not correct.
    laurent