Kaseya Community

USB attached storage

• Any disadvantage to using a usb 2.0 drive to backup a server. The server is the only device backed up on the network?

Legacy Forum Name: USB attached storage,
    Legacy Posted By Username: gcappas
  • We do this in combination with a tape based backup. However, we don't use BUDR to achieve this..

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • In my opinion usb is slower than network. I could be wrong, but I think the extra cost is worth it. Besides, you'll probably add a PC or two to the backup eventually.

Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks
  • We routinely enforce with clients that nothing that needs backing up should be stored on their workstations. This causes the occasional issue, but we work around that.

And yeah, a NAS is a better option, but you can't always justify the cost.

Legacy Posted By Username: LANWorx
  • One problem we have found with some lower end IBM servers is they will not reboot with a USB drive plugged in. Not a boot order problem just a random will not startup fixed by turning the machine off and on.

We have been trying to work around this using lower-end NAS options such as the D-link DNS-323 or the Linksys NAS200. Haven't found one we're completely happy with yet, so still looking. Anyone have any experience with the Lacey nas devices? They're next on the trial list at this stage.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • We now use USB external drives and they are fine... We got burned with a NAS already. Most of the NAS' you can't put agents on, and that scares me a bit. We had a Buff Terrastation die..... just like that.... Thank god we didn't need to do a restore... that would have been bad.

My thoughts are if you have the money, then why not just get a cheap server, warranty with Huge Disks... Case closed.

Cheap way - USB drives and just buy a bunch of them...

Legacy Posted By Username: lgarnier
  • We use USB and got rid of all Tape. USB gives us a bit more options on restore as we can attach it to any system. I am new to BUDR since December this year, but the boot option doesn't always give me an option to connect to a network resource. In this case I would have to copy the data from the NAS to USB anyway.

We do use NAS however as well for larger customer with 4 servers to centralize their backups.

All of our smaller clients, a 1 TB USB Drive does us good. We have standardized on the following layout. 3 USB Drives
    1. x:\ Drive - Daily Backups - NT Backup using BackupAssist
    2. y:\ Drive - Weekly Backups - NT Backup
    3. z:\ Drive - Weekly Acoronis Image (Daily Image if no offisite reqired)

Legacy Posted By Username: itgurullc
  • chris@busy.co.nz
    One problem we have found with some lower end IBM servers is they will not reboot with a USB drive plugged in. Not a boot order problem just a random will not startup fixed by turning the machine off and on.

We have been trying to work around this using lower-end NAS options such as the D-link DNS-323 or the Linksys NAS200. Haven't found one we're completely happy with yet, so still looking. Anyone have any experience with the Lacey nas devices? They're next on the trial list at this stage.

Same here with the IBM servers, glad we found another party having issues with the IBM servers and external usb drives. We used the Lacie for about a week and it was not very fun, imo. We now use the Buffalo Terra Stations and when a client can't or won't ante up for that, we go with the external USB drives.
    The buffalo's have served us very well, no failures yet.....

Legacy Posted By Username: TITaN
  • I believe we had similar issues with a HP server in the past. boot to bios of the IBM and assure that USB boot support is disabled. (i.e. USB Floppy) and even floppy move it lower then your logical disk and see if that hleps.

Joe

Legacy Posted By Username: itgurullc