Kaseya Community

BU-DR for large amounts of data?

• I find that even with the Synthetic full backups some clients still have too much data. Some of the incremental backups are 60-70gb a piece.

Anyone have thoughs on moving large amounts of data with BU-DR?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR for large amounts of data?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mwhite
  • I gotta ask... how can the incrementals be that big?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • One reason why the incrementals can be larger than expected is if you are regularly defragmenting drives then the incrementals will be much larger as a lot more of the disk will be changing.

Are you running defrags on a daily basis,as this woudl definatly mean that you will see more changes?

Legacy Posted By Username: PeterS
  • in our case, the software vendor has designed there application that my client runs to create a backup of the informix database (using the application it does this), so if the informix database is anywhere from 10-30GB in size I am stuck backing up the "LIVE databse" and the backup database that the client's application has created....

Legacy Posted By Username: GrantB
  • Ahhh... I am familiar with this DB product. Instead of the vendor making a copy ofthe DB nightly, tel them you'll handle the backup instead. Make sure to stop the services for the DB product, do your backup, then restart (this is what they are doing after all). Then you'll have much, much smaller incrementals!

Now, if you cannot take this approach, then how about putting a small USB drive on this server and have the vendor redirect his backup to it? This would also give you the desired result of smaller backups.

• I know they wont let me handle the DB backups in the manner you first mentioned, but the second idea is def. worth entertaining...

• Just remember that since you will not be offsiteing their backup you'll need to make sure you stop all of the informix services before you run your backup so you can make sure you have a good copy of the DB at your offsite location.

• Yep, I have already been warned several times by the software developers and support tech's about properly stopping the services (otherwise corruption could result on the live DB from just running a backup)- was what i was told.