Kaseya Community

unable to upgrade acronis to version 9.5-8173

• im trying to upgrade some agents with acronis 9.1-3926 to 9.5-8173. after pushing out the update, kaseya says i need to reboot the box, but after rebooting, it tells me im still on version 9.1-3926. when i log into the box and run trueimage.exe manually, i see the old version number in help -> about, so i guess that proves that the upgrade never took place. has anyone seen this before? this is happening on several of our managed machines.

edit: its turns out that kaseya requests a reboot for some machines, and for others, it just says "install failed."

Legacy Forum Name: unable to upgrade acronis to version 9.5-8173,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MikeConigliaro
  • Does the install log show a successful install and that a reboot was initiated?

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nick.donner
  • backupInstallLog.txt is empty.

• That tells me that the install was kicked off, but never even started. Please check that the MSI file that get downloaded for the install reaches 161MB. Upon completion of a successful backup install, this file gets deleted. That would be the next best step since it would not even start logging if the file is not all there or corrupt.

Legacy Posted By Username: nick.donner
  • the msi never seems to appear in the temp folder. the only clue we have are these messages we see in the kaseya agent log:

6:40:06 am 5-Mar-09 ERROR: getVariableValue() failed to get dynamic script variable value, type 0 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\TrueImageServer\Settings\WorkingDir.
    6:40:06 am 5-Mar-09 ERROR: doGetVariableValue() failed to query registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\TrueImageServer\Settings\WorkingDir.
    6:40:02 am 5-Mar-09 INFO: getRegistryValue() failed to query registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{10DF6B41-D59D-4CCE-86BC-028DF8F9A061}\DisplayName.

• on a whim, i tried manually creating those missing registry keys. this made the previous errors in the agent log go away, but the end result was the same. kaseya still says "install failed" on the budr installation page. strangely, the installation was successful according to the agent script log:

7:18:08 am 5-Mar-09 Install Backup LAN domain/user
    Script Summary: Success THEN
    7:18:08 am 5-Mar-09 Backup Set Driver Signing Policy domain/user
    7:18:08 am 5-Mar-09 Backup Set Driver Signing Policy domain/user
    ÿþC
    7:18:05 am 5-Mar-09 Backup Set Driver Signing Policy domain/user
    7:18:05 am 5-Mar-09 Backup Set Driver Signing Policy domain/user
    ÿþC
    7:18:04 am 5-Mar-09 Install Backup LAN domain/user
    Installing low level drivers on Windows 2003/2008 requires Local Policies - Security Options - Devices: unsigned driver installation behavior set to Silently Succeed (value = 00). Current policy setting = 00
    7:18:04 am 5-Mar-09 Check Backup Reinstall domain/user

• We were experiencing the same thing on one of our servers and finally resolved it today. We found that when upgrading, the uninstaller was leaving behind a VSS provider which was causing all sorts of problems. Once we manually removed this, BUDR installed successfully and everything was working again.

Here's a link discussing removal of an Acronis VSS provider:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=855502

Legacy Posted By Username: benny@geeksaknockin.com
  • unfortunately, im having this problem on machines where im trying to install acronis for the first time, as well as upgrade older versions of acronis. obviously, your solution wont apply for the new installs, but i'll give it a shot on the others. thanks.

• well, here's one part of the solution (taken from Kaseya BUDR 3.0 Technical Bulletin -Version 1.2 – released 12th February 2008)

1. Go to the Agent tab > Update agent function. Select the machines that you will install BUDR3 on.

2. Place a check mark in the “Force update even if agent is at version 5.1.0.0” option. Note that the version displayed as available will be 5.1.0.0 even if the 5.1.0.1 update is available on your system.

• ok, i solved this. i went to patch mgmt > patch status and ran a test on the agents. even though all the tests passed, i reconfigured this stuff anyway (i used the same options that were already there, because i knew they were valid). after that, the install worked. yeah, i dont understand it either.