Kaseya Community

Synthetic Full with Multiple Backup Sets, Huge Single File and No Savings on Disk Space

• I thought we would be able to keep multiple backup sets with a synthetic full. This would allow a roll-up, then changes since that point in time. Sort of like a single diff instead of incrementals.

It sort of works that way, but does a roll-up, and creates a huge single file and starts a new volume backup based on that huge file. That immediately doubles our disk usage. So we're not saving any disk space at all, only consolidating smaller files into one large file. This is fine for offsite backup transfers to save bandwidth, but doesn't allow for longer retention times from what I see.

I don't see a reason to do a synthetic full on PCs. We trade a regular full backup for processing time on the consolidation and end up with a single file that has a higher chance of getting corrupted. Am I right or am I missing something?

Legacy Forum Name: Synthetic Full with Multiple Backup Sets, Huge Single File and No Savings on Disk Space,
    Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks
  • The way you've described it is the way this is intended to work. For a PC, this might not help you in any way at all. But for a server with 500GB of data, it's faster to take an incremental and roll up than it is to take a full image. As you mentioned, this also has enormous benefits for off-site transfers, as you only have to physically transfer a seed image once, and everything thereafter is incremental.

Synthetic full images do not save you disk space in any way, you're still storing a full-sized TIB as the first image in every backup set.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Thanks. I'm a little uncomfortable storing a 100GB single file offsite for a full backup instead of all the incrementals, but I suppose that is a trade off for not transfering another full backup.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: runnetworks