Kaseya Community

Restore 64bit backup into Hyper-V VM

• I have been unable to find a way to retore a 64bit OS into Hyper-V. For instance when we backup a 64bit 2008 Server running Exchange 2007. I have tried to use Acronis to convert it to a VHD but since the only Microsoft option in Acronis is Virtual PC it errors out saying it doesn't support 64bit. So I try booting the VM up with the Acronis CD and try using Universal Restore of the backup into the VM that way. Well I've tried that a few times now and it either fails or if it completes there would be a driver issue along the way so when you boot the VM up it just gets stuck in a BSOD reboot loop.

Anyone come up with a process to restore a 64bit OS into a Hyper-V VM?

Legacy Forum Name: Restore 64bit backup into Hyper-V VM,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bent
  • The convert to VHD is 32 bit (Virtual PC does not support 64 bit). Now as far a using the UR disk, (as long as you are using BUDR 3 UR) you should be able to restore to virtual. I have done this. Now a "trick" you can try is convert the backup to a VMware 64 bit virtual. Then get the free MS tool (google for it) that will convert vmware virtual to vhd. That should fill the bill.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • I have had no luck using UR in a Hyper-V.

Converting to a VHD (32bit) works perfectly.

I will look into this vmware to vhd converter, thx!

• I have had a lot of successes with using UR for P2V using Hyper-V.

• Are you talking about vmdk2vhd? I'm going to try it out.

As far as the UR route. What process are you using? I create a viritual machine, tell it to boot from the acronis.iso then select my backup file and tell it to use the UR option. The process runs, towards the end always errors about some driver, I have to click continue in which is says it finished but when I boot the machine it just gets stuck in a BSOD reboot loop. I've had the same outcome on any OS I've tried to restore. 2003, 2008, 32bit or 64bit.

Thanks for the input.

• I have seen that error before... did you make sure you loaded the controller driver (for example PERC6/I driver) in the UR process?

• Ya I just select the UR option and continue. I don't have any drivers for Hyper-V to load during the UR process... Could you point me to any?

• Sorry! I was thinking V2P... I have never needed any either. Now, a trick one of my eng use is to create a VM, install Windows (any version) to it, then use the UR disk and blow the backup into the VM (overwriting anything there). He tells me this always works.

• hmmm, how would that work (install windows in a VM then use UR to overwrite it)? The UR process would delete the partition so it would be like you never had anything there to begin with.

also, I'm not sure what you mean by P2V and V2P... you mean PC to Virtual/ Virtual to PC?

Thanks for all the ideas thou.

• I have not taken the time to ask Acronis why, but he claims it gets him close to 100% sucessful restores using UR.

Physical 2 virtual or virtual 2 physical.

• vmdk2vhd saved my life! I used Acronis to create a vmdk file and converted it to vhd with that program. Hyper-V fired it right up! I read that if you use 2003 server there may be controler issues since vmware likes SCSI and Hyper-V likes IDE but 2008 figures it out when it boots up.

Thanks for pointing me towards vmdk2vhd

• No problemo! Glad I could help.