Kaseya Community

Question about Synthetic full and backup sets

• Hello,

I am about to set up a client with offsite replication and I would like to use the new incremental forever option. I am wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. If I want to only ever send the entire full backup to our offsite server one time would I need to set it to only save 1 backup set? If I set it to save more than one backup set would I end up with two different synthetic fulls, where it would actually have to send the entire full backup to the offsite server more than once? Or does one synthetic full file somehow contain multiple backup sets? Thank you for any help clearing this up for me. I just want to make sure that I after I get that initial full backup transferred to the offsite server, that it only ever has to send incrementals from that point on.

- Luke

Legacy Forum Name: Question about Synthetic full and backup sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: lcampbell
  • You can set it to store as many backup sets as you have room for. Each time it makes a new synthetic full, that counts as a new set. The synth-full will be created on both the local and offsite servers, so you're only ever transferring just the incrementals. Once you've taken a real full backup once, every full backup after that will be synthetic as long as you've enabled the synth-full option.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • So as you understand it, the onsite full will also be created synthetically (after the first one of course) and is not an actual full backup?

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Are there any good reasons to *not* use Synthetic backups??

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • Coldfirex
    Are there any good reasons to *not* use Synthetic backups??

Synth-fulls rely on your incrementals being good, so you're essentially relying on the chain of backups to all be good. With the new version of Acronis, verification turned on, and regular testing, this isn't really a big problem. But the reality is that a full backup isn't based on previous backups, and therefore has nothing to affect whether or not it's a good backup other than the source server itself.

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Thanks for the info!

Legacy Posted By Username: lcampbell