Kaseya Community

How do you do your Exchange/SQL Backups?

• I'm running BUDR 3.0, and am just wondering what everyone else does to backup their Exchange or SQL Data. Does Acronis truncate the logs properly, or am I best served using a 2 stage approach?

What about VSS? I was in the webinar where it was said it would slow the backup down, but to what degree? I have a 150GB Exchange store that routinely takes days (Not hours, but literally days) to backup to a share on my backup server. Initially I thought the cause was that server being limited to 10mbps Full Duplex by a not so knowledgable admin, but setting it back to gigabit didn't help the situation much. I dropped maybe an hour off my time?

Right now, I'm doing as such: Monitoring goes into an Ignore Alarm period of 3 hours, Pre-Backup Script to shut down the services runs (Except that for some reason, it fails... To which I have no idea). Backup kicks off without VSS Support, Takes forever, Monitoring turns back on after 3 hours and turns the Exchange Services back on, and then the backup completes X days/hours later, followed by the post-script which also fails trying to restart services that are already running.

What could I be doing wrong here? Thoughts?

Legacy Forum Name: How do you do your Exchange/SQL Backups?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Charles.IN
  • You'll need to either use circular logging to flush the Exchange logs, or use a 2nd party app for it. Acronis just came out with Acronis for Exchange (and one for SQL too!) and I'd expect K to add it into the lineup within a year.

I currently backup 70+ GB store with Acronis and a full takes only a couple of hours. It sounds to me that you're using an exchange sware product that does brick level backups (which takes a lot longer than just a store level backup).

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Nope, the only product doing any form of backup on that server is BUDR 3.0, so that can't be the reason for the slowness. Thanks for that information though. I didn't realise Brick-level would be slower than Store-level, though thinking about it now it makes sense.

• Well, bandwidth (10Mb vs 1Gb) would definitely affect the backup. I wonder if the backup server is not handling the backup at a fast enough rate? What type of drives does it have?

• I never thought of that aspect of it... It's backing up to a single 7200rpm drive. Still don't think it should take days to back up 150gb though

Trying to eek out the last few weeks I can before my new budget hits.

• The only time I've seen speeds like that is when a drive gets overwhelmed. Do you have multiple jobs hitting it at once? Also, are you running a verify with the backup job?

• The only time multiple jobs hit is when a full rolls over the next day and the incremental tries to fire. That's the only server backing up at this point

• OK... the only other thing I know of that causes looooong backup times is when you select verify in the backup job.

• What about a forever incremental? We're using StorageCraft ShadowProtect, and it rocks!!!

Just a thought.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris@busy.co.nz
  • boudj
    You'll need to either use circular logging to flush the Exchange logs, or use a 2nd party app for it.

Instead of circular logging, just use the server's built in backup utility to perform an online backup to purge the logs and just set it to overwrite the backup file each time. This works pretty well, and also provides an extra backup method in a pinch.

Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • Alan M
    Instead of circular logging, just use the server's built in backup utility to perform an online backup to purge the logs and just set it to overwrite the backup file each time. This works pretty well, and also provides an extra backup method in a pinch.

This will work fine for Exchange 2000 & 2003. However if you are doing Exchange 2007 (on windows 2008) you'll no longer be able to backup exchange.

• Charles

I can not help you with your specific question.. but since you have the Enterprise verion of Exchange, you should be running mulitple smaller message stores. I would then backup one message store a night and get the log files every night.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • I'm running Exchange 2007 Standard, so I don't think that's possible.

I've purchased new hardware for my backup server, to hold us through the new year at this point. Moving from 1gb RAM and 1 single GigE NIC to Dual Teamed NICs and 4 GB of RAM. Should help some. only bottleneck at that point would be the disk it's backing up to. If it continues to be a problem, I'll just have to make due I guess until I get my new budget.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas Smile