Kaseya Community

Best Practices BUDR Exchange SQL

• We have several Win2K3 servers running Exchange and SQL. We are using the Acronis BUDR to backup these machines. All servers are using the 9.1-3296 version of Acronis.

Should we take these services offline before the backup the servers?

Are there any available scripts that work for taking these services offline then back online afterwards? I have attempted to use the scripts in the script repository of Kaseya with no luck.

Any advise regarding best practices of backing up Exchange/SQL servers would be appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: Best Practices BUDR Exchange SQL,
    Legacy Posted By Username: charbin
  • We use a combination of NTBackup and Kaseya BUDR. We use the NTBackup to do two backups to a .bkf file as a scheduled job so that we know the logs are being cleared and that we have a viable backup. We then also use BUDR so that we have an image of all the files. We use a script to monitor the .bkf backup folders and the Exchange log folders. The script emails us a directory listing of those two folders so that we can quickly look at the date stamps and sizes to make sure those backups are happening. It is a little bit of a kluge but it seems to work.
    Please let me know if you want it and I'll send you the script (it is pretty simple).
    Thanks,
    Sid

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: spayne
  • The biggest issue with the current version of BUDR (2.0) is that the VSS piece is crap and you shouldn't use it. In the new version (BUDR 3.0) Acronis decided that using the MS VSS is a good idea and now it works.

With that being said I usually folow a backup method like what spayne uses.

Now when BUDR 3.0 is released I'd probably go with just using BUDR for the backups. Now if you need to get to the brick level of Exchange, or the table level of SQL, or flush logs for either, then you'll need to use another app to get you to these levels.

Finally, Acronis just came out with an Exchange & SQL BUDR product that will do this (as well as flush logs!). I asked K about adding this to their BUDR product and they said that they will look into doing this with BUDR 4 (which I believe is a no brainer for them). With that being said I wouldn't expect to see it added until this time next year.

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Yes I would be interested in these scripts. Can you upload to this post? I greatly appreciate this advise.

• spayne
    We use a combination of NTBackup and Kaseya BUDR. We use the NTBackup to do two backups to a .bkf file as a scheduled job so that we know the logs are being cleared and that we have a viable backup. We then also use BUDR so that we have an image of all the files. We use a script to monitor the .bkf backup folders and the Exchange log folders. The script emails us a directory listing of those two folders so that we can quickly look at the date stamps and sizes to make sure those backups are happening. It is a little bit of a kluge but it seems to work.
    Please let me know if you want it and I'll send you the script (it is pretty simple).
    Thanks,
    Sid

Yes I would be interested in these scripts. Can you upload to this post? I greatly appreciate this advise.

• boudj
    The biggest issue with the current version of BUDR (2.0) is that the VSS piece is crap and you shouldn't use it. In the new version (BUDR 3.0) Acronis decided that using the MS VSS is a good idea and now it works.

With that being said I usually folow a backup method like what spayne uses.

Now when BUDR 3.0 is released I'd probably go with just using BUDR for the backups. Now if you need to get to the brick level of Exchange, or the table level of SQL, or flush logs for either, then you'll need to use another app to get you to these levels.

Finally, Acronis just came out with an Exchange & SQL BUDR product that will do this (as well as flush logs!). I asked K about adding this to their BUDR product and they said that they will look into doing this with BUDR 4 (which I believe is a no brainer for them). With that being said I wouldn't expect to see it added until this time next year.

The really sad thing about the acronis version in BUDR 3.0 is that it doesn't REALLY use Microsoft VSS still. What it does instead is it uses Microsoft VSS to tell the Databases to Pause, then it makes an acronis snapshot, then it tells Microsoft VSS to abort. According to acronis, this is how they designed it.

The result is unknown. I do seem to get good backups. Though at the same time I get 5-40 VSS errors at each server during backup. This doesn't sit well with me.

I was personally hoping that this version actually used the native VSS to actually backup the databases.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182