Kaseya Community

Recovering Folders

• Hi there,

I am analysing using BUDR as primarily a backup tool, but in doing so have come across a simple problem, which I hope isn't by design.

Lets say I have a client who is having their Company share backed up at d:\company, and they want to have an item restored from d:\company\projects\abc\123.xls.

Am I right in saying the only way to restore this one file is to mount the entire d:\company folder, which could be say 100Gb??

I am aware I can backup and mount the volume, but as this is rarely what I want to do is there no way of easily recovering small files without needing double the amount of disc space locally available on the server?

Many thanks
    Michael

Legacy Forum Name: Recovering Folders,
    Legacy Posted By Username: garch
  • You can mount the backup image directly from where it is stored (USB Drive or whatever). You do not need to copy it to the server in order to mount it.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • Could you let me know how to do this?

I am going via Explore Folders where it wants to restore the entire folder to either the original server or a new machine ID. I can't see a way of exploring the backup directly.

Thanks very much
    Michael

• I see the problem......Folders vs. Volumes. You can mount Volumes and access them without actually restoring anything; apparently you cannot do so with folders. Is there any way you could image the entire D: drive rather than the single folder?

We currently do not use the folder backup option at all.

Legacy Posted By Username: karode
  • Volume backups would be fine in may cases, but on some servers (we have inherited I would have to state..) they might have just a C drive with their data share on their too - this causes a problem with a volume backup cos I might not have enough local storage.

• Actually sorted I think. If you explore the actually backup file it will let you restore any file or folder from within it.

• Please keep us updated on your findings...

Legacy Posted By Username: Resistance2Fly
  • Hi guys,
    I've found the most success with BUDR by using either a USB attached storage or preferrably a NAS that has at least RAID1. For Folder backups I follow a basic process of backing up from DISK to DISK (USB or NAS) using an incremental backup with a Full backup made every 7 days. For volume backups I schedule a full backup once per week and manually execute full volume backups when changes are made to the system. The initial full backups are taken offsite manually using a removable media - subsequent incremental backups are then replicated over WAN after hours.

Legacy Posted By Username: mleepack