Kaseya Community

Backups Failing - cant access external hard drive

• I'm having problems with my backups. I've attached a USB external drive to my server using USB 2.0 Card and cannot access the hard drive over the network. When I try to browse to the server and look at the drive I get this error message:

" \\xxx-ServerName\External Drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

and If I look at the event viewer I get this message:
    The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter.

I've tried to change the stack before and it did not work has anyone else had problems with this???

Thank you,

Claudio

Legacy Forum Name: Backups Failing - cant access external hard drive,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cmgrajeda
  • We've had similar issues. I found the following on another forum and it worked for us:

*Note: The following fixed the issue with mapping the drive (folder) -

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

Not enough memory to complete transaction. Close some applications and retry.

These error messages can indicate the irpstackSize bug on the other machine (the server that has the share). On that computer open the event log and check for event ID 2011. If this is present, it is a strong indication for this particular bug.

To repair it, you have to reset the irpstackSize parameter back to its default value of 15 on the server where the share is.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SYSTEM
    \CurrentControlSet
    \Services
    \lanmanserver
    \parameters

Check for the presence of a value named irpstackSize. If it doesn't exist, create it as type DWORD. With base set to decimal, enter the value 15.

Reboot the computer.

One frequent culprit is Norton AntiVirus, which tends to change this parameter.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • Thank you so much, that worked like a charm! Norton was installed on the server, so I uninstalled Norton and then I had to add the registry value to the server and rebooted and now I'm able to get to the drive.

Thank you so much

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cmgrajeda