Kaseya Community

Offsite Replicatioin to a local machine

• We have a client that wants the there backups saved onto the server but also copied to an external HD so they can take them offsite. Previously we have scheduled a batch file to copied everything over but it is hard to monitor if that fails. Is anyone using to offsite backup option to save to a local UNC path? If so what port would be the best to use?

Thanks

Legacy Forum Name: Offsite Replicatioin to a local machine,
    Legacy Posted By Username: chris
  • We have the same situation and had a meeting about it yesterday. WEIRD! Smile

IMHO neither UNC paths nor IP addresses should be used because that route traverses more local resources than necessary (i.e. networking stacks). xcopy would be best but as you say it's not easily managable.

Will be testing and update afterwards ...

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: justin4dti
  • We also do this. We created software code that allows us to chose which backups go to the external drive (filtered by age). We have been doing this for two years. In our client base, Internet off-site is not possible. I have been asking for Kaseya to build this type of off-site feature in for a long while now.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Thanks for the information. I have been testing this out and it works but as you said it really slows everything down. Unless I am missing something there is also no way to manage the destination folder so it will just keep backing up until you run out of space. I will keep experimenting with this. If anyone is running the same situation please post how you have it setup.

Thanks

• We use a script with Robocopy to copy the backup directory to an external USB drive so they can take it off site. The following is our shell cmd line from the script that uses the /purge switch which will delete files on the destination(external USB) that are no longer on the source. The script is scheduled to run after the backup and allows time for the verify.

robocopy d:\"Backup folder name" y:\ /COPYBig SmileAT /E /Purge /R:3 /W:600 /LOG:c:\temp\robolog.txt /TEE /NP /NJH /NDL /NFL

Legacy Posted By Username: kyle@comp-u-tron.com
  • xcopy will do this. It's what we decided on.

• justin4dti
    xcopy will do this. It's what we decided on.

Does Xcopy delete files that are no longer on the source(IE old backup images)? How do you handle deleting the old files so the media doesnt fill?

Legacy Posted By Username: kyle@comp-u-tron.com
  • Look into RoboCopy. Should be in Microsoft Downloads.

It has many options including making directories match etc. It also gives you eta's on large file transfers and does compairs on its copy.

It is what we use to copy or full backups from USB drives into our storage for offsite replication.

Legacy Posted By Username: Russell
  • Unless I misunderstood the question, we have been doing 'onsite offsites' for a long time with great success.

I set up each server that has BU/DR and backs up to its own external USB HD as a "local server" and then I select another computer on site (either an XP box or a server) and set it up as an offsite server. Once it is set up, it usually takes an evening to sync the Acronis folders from the servers to its own hard drive. Then, the next day, I swap another drive in its place and let it catch up. We usually have the client take the drive offsite or put it in a fireproof safe overnight.

The next day, the process begins again and by putting the original drive back on, it just has to copy one incremental to catch up plus that evening's backup. (We usually do a 14 day full image/incremental cycle, but folder backup would work just as well).

If I have several servers, I might have a workstation act as the local server, but usually I just leave it to each server to act as their own local server. I don't notice any slowdown or negative effects.

(I even have one site where the main server backs up to a USB drive: e:\acronis\server.sitename and two other servers back up to \\server\usbdrive\acronis, so I end up with three server.sitename directories under acronis. I then have the offsite backup sync the e:\acronis folder and I get all three. Easy...

Randy

Legacy Posted By Username: rcspang
  • That sound like exactly what we are trying to do. How do you handle the drives you swap running out of space?

Thanks

• As long as the 'offsite' drives are bigger than the cumulative total of what it is backing up, it is OK.

I have found, though, that sometimes kaseya will abandon folders of older backups, or will continue piling them on in a folder if a successful Full backup is missed. I will usually just delete the oldest folder on local drive. When this is done, the offsite drive should replicate it, therefore, deleting the old folder.

• rcspang's description of "onsite offsites" is right on; it's just the inverse of what we do (i.e. there's a local NAS box with shared folders for server backups, and that box is replicated to our datacenter NAS or has external drives attached for our xcopy script). Seems to be the best way (eitherway)

The questions about disks filling up are silly. BUDR doesn't estimate whether there's enough space on the destination before beginning. It just fails; or you respond to an alarm about your NAS box's disks. Our xcopy script could check quotas via some fancy logic but I just delete the previous contents before writing new data. (We run monthly offsites, so the latest external drive is offsite before any data is deleted on the previous one.) The nice thing about xcopy -- and necessary for large data transfers -- is that it can verify the destination data. I haven't heard where BUDR offsite ever verifies anything.

• One quirk of BU/DR is how it deletes stale folders. For an example, let's say you have a 14 day image backup cycle with daily incrementals and you save one set. The full tib is 100Gb and dailies are 10Gb each. After 28 days, each dated folder will have 230Gb in them. You have a 500Gb drive, so you have about 40Gb free (500-230-230). Now, tonight the full backup launches and it will fill up the drive after 40 of the 100Gb new tib is created. Now you are stuck. It won't delete the old folder and it cannot move forward. You have to go in manually and clean things up.

What Acronis/Kaseya does is make the full backup before deleting the stale folder. In one way, it makes sense to assure the latest backup is complete before deleting the oldest, but we are only talking about one backup here and a difference in minutes...

Just something to be aware of.

• rcspang,

In K2008 there is an option to "Delete before running backup". Make sure you have more than 1 backup set saved (as it sounds like you do) and use this option to clear up space before the backup is run.

Legacy Posted By Username: CCDave