Kaseya Community

ReadyNAS boxes

• Weve been using the Terastations in a few sites, but have been a bit disappointed with the speeds. Based on a few reviews we've seen, the Netgear seems to be a pretty good perf/price altenative. It is about 40% more expensive than the BUffalo units, but still far less than a few of the other choices.

Here's a recent review done by CRN (yes, I know...)
    =================
    -- Bake-Off: Network-Attached Storage

Whenever the conversation turns to storage, SANs tend to hog the spotlight. However, there are valid technical and financial reasons for picking NAS, especially when several machines need access to the same set of data.

http://newsletter.crn.com/cgi-bin4/DM/y/eBHuC0GBTAx0ElS0FvGo0E8
    =================

I really need something that can be Rackmounted, so I was wondering if anyone has done any comparisons between the NV+ and the ReadyNAS 1100Units. My only interest is in the speed of the unit.

Thecus is another option, but since they don't distribte through our normal distributors, I rather stick to Tech/Synnex/Ingram. The 5year warranty on the ReadyNAS unit is really appealing, especially if we're going to be managing them for the client.

Thank in advance.

Legacy Forum Name: ReadyNAS boxes,
    Legacy Posted By Username: carlosmp
  • Also look into offering your own unit by using OpenFiler.

www.openfiler.com

God Bless,
    Marty

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Missing Link
  • I have a ready nas NV+ and I have to say they are too slow for anything other than a backup solution.

I use mine to backup my Virtual machines now.

Legacy Posted By Username: mrbiggles
  • We've tried other NAS devices and for the money the Infrant is nice.....however once you load one up you are close to the price of a StoreVault, which is on a whole other level!

Legacy Posted By Username: tech92117
  • Thanks everyone for your responses...

Missing Link
    Also look into offering your own unit by using OpenFiler.

I've looked into it, but I was really hoping to avoid building our own boxes. I much rather get it and have support by a manufacturer. Given most of the speeds of these boxes, we may not have many choices. I'm also trying to keep the power consumption down. Only from a UPS backup POV. The Terastation uses something like 50W if I rememer. Compared to running a full fledged box with Xeon CPU, etc. it's quite different. But on the flip side, the performance has been sub par...

Missing Link
    I have a ready nas NV+ and I have to say they are too slow for anything other than a backup solution.

What types of speeds are you seeing? I just ordered one under the netgear partner program to see what we could get in comparison to the BUffalo Terastation Pro. We had some 500GB SATA drives lying around, and I thought I would take it for a spin and see what happens. I may end up tossing them into a real case and try OpenFiler/FreeNAS and see how the performance compares.

Missing Link
    We've tried other NAS devices and for the money the Infrant is nice.....however once you load one up you are close to the price of a StoreVault, which is on a whole other level!

What types of speed are you getting? The Infrant is the Netgear in case you didn't know...Storevault is definitely a different level, but depending on a few factors, we may be needing to jump to a different level...

Legacy Posted By Username: carlosmp