Kaseya Community

Cheap 2-3 TB Windows Storage Server NAS?

• Anyone able to find or put together an inexpensive 2-3 TB Windows Storage Server NAS? Product like Thecus, ReadyNas, Terrastation are not that great. Also, no agent can be installed on these. But they are inexpensive.

Legacy Forum Name: Cheap 2-3 TB Windows Storage Server NAS?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • We put together an inexpensive Windows 2003 Standard Server with 4 750GB using built-in Windows RAID5. Works great!

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: j.lee@carceron.net
  • We have used the Infrant and the Freedom9 devices. The Infrants we have had some problems with. Since being purchased by Netgear they have also become way to expensive. The Freedom9 we have been pretty satisfied with. The firmware is a little weird but once you figure it out it works well.

Legacy Posted By Username: cmibrandon
  • j.lee@carceron.net
    We put together an inexpensive Windows 2003 Standard Server with 4 750GB using built-in Windows RAID5. Works great!

I can certainly see how using Windows would be nice because you can throw an agent on that box and do a lot of flexible things.

However, consider the $700 price tag for doing that?

We use the same hardware in a white-box and use FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/) to manage RAID, samba, NFS, and such.

With FreeNAS, you can take your disk array and a USB key with the running/production copy of the FreeNAS O/S to any machine that will boot from a USB device and move the entire array independent of the hardware. Very handy from a disaster recovery perspective. There are a number of impressive features in FreeNAS for it's tiny 32MB size.

Legacy Posted By Username: kubuntuuser
  • lacie do an ethernet rack mount solution that uses windeows xp embeded
    and according to lacie it is posible to modify the OS and install software on this device.
    http://www.lacie.com/au/products/product.htm?pid=11018
    bear in mind the price is in AUS$ so should be significantly les in US$

at this stage we are looking at putting together a "Kaseya" box
    to use as a backup device and a way to gain access to a box on the network other than the server without inconvienianceing the client

at this stage we are thinking of a custom solution
    with a mini ITX motherboard with embeded CPU
    *internel harddrive for image backup and filesource
    *drive bay for a hotswap drive for to be used for folder backup
    http://www.icydock.com/product/mb123sk.html
    we thaught of using this icy hot swap system and changing the drive
    once a week

but as we do not fully understand how the BUDR system works and we are unsure if changing the disk at the same time ever week is going to result in a backup set beging written accross two disks
    this could cause us major problems.

if anyone has any ideas or would is looking at a similar project email me maybe we can help each other out..
    matt@commsit.com.au

Legacy Posted By Username: matt82
  • We tried Lacie too and ended up building a "Kaseya box" (called NAS for redundancy). It's basically a cheap workstation running XP with lots of disks and one shared "Backup" folder. The box is local to the customer's servers. We configure Kaseya to backup those servers to this box.

What I don't understand is how Kaseya intends for the "complete backup solution" to work. We'd like to offer customer's offsite storage. It seems like the solution would be to suck up these local "Kaseya" boxes up to our datacenter. What's the bandwidth usage for that? Is Kaseya essentially using ftp? I've read on here that it might be better to script rsync, but I need an ftp-like solution where we can set bandwidth thresholds.

There seems to be zilch documentation on this ...

Legacy Posted By Username: justin4dti
  • kaseya can automaticly sync your backup forlder to offsite, you can set limits on file type and you can also throttle the speed

Legacy Posted By Username: matt82
  • Would like to put my 2 cents into this conversation if I may.
    We spent a lot of time (and unfortunately money) on solutions for our clients in the 2TB Range (RAID 5 for redundancy)

We started with the Infrant, and god its slow. Especially using the BUDR with Kaseya (we have both BUDR and Shadowprotect)
    Shadowprotect definately helped with the clients we have on the infrant systems.
    Last time I looked there was a problem with drives larger than 500GB on the infrant, although their Beta firmware was to support the 750GB, so 4 x 500GB RAID 5, 1.5TB.

I just recently setup this IcyDock
    http://www.icydock.com/product/mb561s-4s.html

holy **** its fast, 22mbps transfer speed, it IS running eSata mind you.

I went with the above
    IcyDock 4 bay NAS system ~ $200
    4 x 750GB WD SATA2 Drives ~$200 each
    1 RocketRaid 2310 Internal RAID Card ~$150

2.25TB for $1150. (definately a ballpark figure)

I did not want to go with a MicroATX box solution, so I know that could be cheaper with freeNAS, I just didnt want to bring a computer into the network and have to deal with
    a. Upgrading Clients to a Gigabit switch and network card in the server (when most wont need it)
    b. the speed issues I was having with gigabit and the Infrant.

Infrant - Slow (real slow with Acronis BUDR with Kaseya 9 - 10 mbps)
    eSata with the IcyDock - (haven't test Acronis BUDR although I am getting 20+ mbps transfer speed with Shadowprotect)

Sorry this post became so long, I typed the way I was thinking, and I don't want to go back and re-read it.

Ping me offline if you have any questions, there are PDF speed transfer whitesheets on IcyDocks website if you are interested.

.... hoping I can save someone some time and money

Dustin

Legacy Posted By Username: quicktech
  • We have built a rack-mount white box with a Core2 Duo, 2gigs RAM, Promise SATA RAID5 Controller and 2TB for about $750. We went ahead an put Server 2003 on there as well, nearly doubling the price.

However, we are planning on using that machine also as a Virtual Server 2005 host so that we can universal restore an image to a virtual machine in an emergency. (we are testing the ability to do this right now)

We also plan on bundling Websense Web Security with our high-end package, and this box is perfect for web/protocol filtering as well. For new installs we will be using a 30-day trial of websense and will generate all the reports for the customer to view, at that point they can decide whether to add it to their package.

Steven Wilson
    Catalyst Technology Group

Legacy Posted By Username: swilson
  • We use the 1GB, 2GB, or 4TB NAS from Buffalo Tech and it works great. OF course you'll need a machine on the same network as the NAS that has the K agent on it. Cost for 1TB is around $400 (Dell pricing).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • We use the D-Link DNS-323. It's a good little unit. It will take 2 1TB SATA drives. It has email notifications for things like full volumes, failed drives and over temperature conditions. Gigabit interface. Decent speeds in RAID0. Not bad for $189 plus drives.

One of our techs loves the Western Digital Worldbook edition drives. It's like having a 1TB drive with a Hamachi server built in. Access from anywhere. Share files securely. Pretty cool for personal or very small business application. Not what I'd use for an Acronis image target.

Legacy Posted By Username: jim@blacktuskgroup.com
  • I can speak on the Lacie Ethernet Disks. The Lacie's have issues with not releasing connections (more of an XP Embedded issue.) I have four of them with this problem. A reboot fixes the problem. We use an agent and the reboot script every other day to work around the problem. If you go down that route, don't patch the NAS box. It will BSOD faster than ever and you have to wipe and reload it. (BartPE XP disk will allow for you to read the data an move it off to another location.)

We also use Drobo's in a couple of places. Works well especially for expansion.

Legacy Posted By Username: pjones
  • kubuntuuser
    I can certainly see how using Windows would be nice because you can throw an agent on that box and do a lot of flexible things.

However, consider the $700 price tag for doing that?

We use the same hardware in a white-box and use FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/) to manage RAID, samba, NFS, and such.

With FreeNAS, you can take your disk array and a USB key with the running/production copy of the FreeNAS O/S to any machine that will boot from a USB device and move the entire array independent of the hardware. Very handy from a disaster recovery perspective. There are a number of impressive features in FreeNAS for it's tiny 32MB size.

Isn't Linux great!!!

LFS with Samba, ftp, scp, nfs works really well for us. 2.5+TB with out issues.

Our cost $678.00 per box. do a little rsync between systems for extra redun of critical files.

One day all others will start to realize the power of linux, I hope it does not come soon or I may be out of a job.. (can't fix what aint broke)

Cubert

Legacy Posted By Username: Cubert
  • Answering to far182 I can say that after a painful experience with Lacie 2TB raid-5 (slow) we have switched to a cheap Hp proliant-based solution for the offsite servers.
    We use several inexpensive ML-110/160 GB (less than 200 euro) with Vista Business and n x 750 GB (ml110 carries up to 4 drives).

Mounting the drives in n (n=1,2 or 3) empty foders under the same root folder we can receive up to 750 GB per local server.

In example the 3 x 750 GB solution costs less than 600 euro.

We use this solutions for 3 reasons :

- cheap-nas are in domain, no pain with user/password
    - we can do a fast copy to an usb drive prior to go to crashed clients
    - we can have a kaseya-agent monitored "nas" solution

We have not redundancy but kaseya monitoring is better than this.

Legacy Posted By Username: benassi
  • As I mentioned in another thread dont forget about Openfiler. www.openfiler.com I like it much better than FreenNAS. It allows all the things that FreeNAS does plus ISCSI.

God Bless,
    Marty

Legacy Posted By Username: Missing Link