Kaseya Community

Is BU-DR really useable?

• I am very afraid to start selling BU-DR to my clients based on the feedback I'm seeing in the forums.

How can I trust a backup solution that needs Anti Virus TURNED OFF, or it will blue screen?

can anyone give their honest opinion on whether or not this is a reliable solution? I can't afford to lose a client due to server failures CAUSED by the managed service I sold them.

Thanks for any advice!

Gavin

Legacy Forum Name: Is BU-DR really useable?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Interprom
  • Interprom
    I am very afraid to start selling BU-DR to my clients based on the feedback I'm seeing in the forums.

How can I trust a backup solution that needs Anti Virus TURNED OFF, or it will blue screen?

can anyone give their honest opinion on whether or not this is a reliable solution? I can't afford to lose a client due to server failures CAUSED by the managed service I sold them.

Thanks for any advice!

Gavin

We have over 100 workstation and over 50 server BUDR clients. I've not heard of needing AV turned off for BUDR to work.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • Same here... I currently have 50 Servers and 210 Workstations licensed. In fact there are many, many more uses for it other than traditional BUDR. for example, we use it to upgrade user PC's. When a new system is swapped in, we image the old system and blow it into the new one (thanks to disimilar hardware restore). The process is very fast, ad the users love it because they get to keep their look and feel (since it is an exect clone of their old system). Finally, you get a great return on investment. After the first year purchase price of the license, you only pay annual maint on the license each year afterwards. I like this because my price to my customer does not change from year to year. Therefore starting in year 2 I make a very good profit from this application (I wish I had something similar with the AV module!).

Legacy Posted By Username: boudj
  • Interprom

Whoever told you that you need to turn AV off must be doing something wrong (or should switch the AV software they're using Smile). We use CA eTrust ITM on all servers and workstations and BUDR has never given us a problem. Just test it out in house a few times to see what you're working with and you'll feel comfortable. Take an image of your server and restore it to some spare hardware on your work bench. You can hit problems, but it's no different than any other backup solution. So far we've seen a few hardware configurations that the full version of the Acronis restore CD doesn't like. Boot to the CD's safe-mode and they work fine.

AR

Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • I have had problems with Acronis and started looking for a cheap alternative. Go to www.runtime.org and download DriveImage XML. This is FREE software and works great on any workstation or a Windows 2003 server. Very easy to use and will create and image of the system like Acronis.

You can recover from Windows or a BartPE CD with Drive Image. You can setup a simple script within Kaseya to manage to daily settings or just use task scheduler to auto set. I had several Servers that would just not load Acronis or after install would just uninstall for no reason. I now use Drive Image and have had stable image backups on a daily bases. I think Acronis should fix their issues or give us our money back. But that is a discussion for another day. Please look into this before you spend big money on Acronis.

Legacy Posted By Username: rob jones
  • You really need to read the post. The issue was that backup was failing in certain circumstances with very large volumes. The issue was that the AV product was scanning the drive and preventing it from being read to perform the backup.

Legacy Posted By Username: kaseya
  • Interprom
    I am very afraid to start selling BU-DR to my clients based on the feedback I'm seeing in the forums.

Thanks for any advice!

Gavin

Hi Gavin. The short answer is YES, very reliable.

Long Answer.) BUDR just like any other MSP solution take time to configure and setup right. Though if done right can be one of the best revenue streams. We profit more from BUDR than any other service we provide - it's just amazing. From a support stand point it's also the best. Our techs never worry about crashed servers. Time and time again if there is a total server failure we just pop in a recovery disk and the client is back and online in minutes (couple hours if old hardware). We use it as a complete replacement for BackupExec and Arcserve. It's never burned us yet in the almost 2 years of using it.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I did read the post; I was just giving him another alternative to giving Kaseya more money. To me it’s about ideas and solutions. DriveImage can be a good solution while he figures out how to solve the BUDR problem. Both can work on the same box.

Staying awake at night knowing your backups don’t work is not fun. Just so you know I read the post, Interprom, (Gavin) BUDR is NOT reliable on SOME systems. But for the most part is works fine.

I have found conflicts with mostly other types of software, but not Anti-virus. I have never gotten a blue screen I could trace back to BUDR and never needed to turn off AV. I agree you should not risk your client due to server failure and having a second or third (I like Syncback) is just insurance to keep your client happy and your bank account full. So Administrator lighten up!!

Legacy Posted By Username: rob jones
  • BUDR has issues with some brands of NAS's (the cheap ones doh), but other then that.. I've used it a few times from the recovery standpoint, and it's never failed me.

Just make sure your recovery cd (i prefer it that way in person, best chance for success and billable hours Smile ) is the same version or older then the version installed on the PC. If not, it will not recover.

Legacy Posted By Username: Rick@BBM
  • Just wanted to mention DriveImage XML is not free for commercial use, at least not anymore. But it may be cheaper than Acronis.