Kaseya Community

Backup Verify Failing randomly

• Volume Verify 10:04:26 pm 4-Feb-08 00:04:45 - Failed
    Verification failed - Backup completed but the verify process was interrupted and did not complete

This seems to happen randomly on many server/workstations. It failed the verify for about a week on one server, and then worked last night, and randomly does this on other servers.

Most of them are using an Intel NAS with corret credintals, correct UNC paths, etc...

How do I get more information to find out what is causing it to fail?

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Verify Failing randomly,
    Legacy Posted By Username: pjdaley
  • This can be caused by excessive network traffic, or an overloaded PC. Try to isolate the machines that fail by spacing out your backup routines and look for other events that precipitate your failures. Look at the machine and network utilization during your failing verify routines.

Good luck! Be sure to report back what you find.

Legacy Forum Name: BU-DR,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Alan M
  • This can be caused by excessive network traffic, or an overloaded PC. Try to isolate the machines that fail by spacing out your backup routines and look for other events that precipitate your failures. Look at the machine and network utilization during your failing verify routines.

Good luck! Be sure to report back what you find.

• pc is not overloaded at all, quad core with 8gb of ram, 15K hd's, that is running quickbooks. Backups being done at 11pm when AV is not running, when no one is there, and no network utilization. Updates are done at 4 am. Still have no clue why it randomly fails on random servers.

Legacy Posted By Username: pjdaley
  • If your backup completes successfully then fails during the automated verify process, what happens when you try to manually verfiy the image the next day? This would be a clue as to whether the problem is related to the file itself, or to the conditions that exist during the automated verify.

If you are able to manually verify the backup file then something is probably happening on the verifying PC during the automated process. Just for example, if you were verifying the image from file server and then someone were to start pulling patch files from the server, this would cause your verify to fail.

• I would also check for overlapping BUDR schedules. Check to make sure the TARGET storage device activity remains low enough to facilitate a verify. (i.e., slow NASs that are destination, which Kaseya is performing verify on "IMAGE1" and a concurrent backup on "IMAGE2" may bring some devices to their knees)

Legacy Posted By Username: SADAsystems
  • Alan M
    If your backup completes successfully then fails during the automated verify process, what happens when you try to manually verfiy the image the next day? This would be a clue as to whether the problem is related to the file itself, or to the conditions that exist during the automated verify.

If you are able to manually verify the backup file then something is probably happening on the verifying PC during the automated process. Just for example, if you were verifying the image from file server and then someone were to start pulling patch files from the server, this would cause your verify to fail.

I have this issue, but I am NOT able to manually verify the image. It indicates that there are no good backups to verify, even though the software reports that the backup was successfull.
    Any thoughts on this?

Legacy Posted By Username: jfranks@get-covered.com
  • Alan M
    If your backup completes successfully then fails during the automated verify process, what happens when you try to manually verfiy the image the next day? This would be a clue as to whether the problem is related to the file itself, or to the conditions that exist during the automated verify.

I assume by 'manually verify' you mean to launch trueimage.exe from a system on the network? In Kaseya, if the job finishes so the following error is received:

Verification failed - Backup completed but the verify process was interrupted and did not complete

The "Verify Images" menu in Kaseya doesn't show those backups- it only shows backups for which verify was successful...

Incidentally, I ran trueimage.exe on the backups I had that were failing- and all succeeded- which I guess indicates either issues with I/O on NAS or LAN.

Legacy Posted By Username: tking
  • tking: I would be thinking I/O as well.

jfranks: If you launch trueimage.exe on a workstation can you then verify the .TIB successfully?

Again, the most common thing to cause these sorts of issues in my experience is traffic or disk overload. Acronis doesn't handle these conditions well at all.

If the backup file cannot be successfully created, I would be looking for bad sectors or maybe driver issues with the target or destination disk. Run CHKDSK /r on all of the disks involved; try moving your backup location and see if that changes anything, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck!