Kaseya Community

Asigra Backups and Kaseya

• We are looking into Asigra as a cloud backup solution and I wanted to see if anyone here has had experience working with Asigra.

Aside from Kaseya, how is Asigra? Any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of Kaseya has anyone been able to somehow integrate Asigra (in one way or another) into kaseya to help manage things? They claim to be able to integrate into other MSP platforms and I was just curious is anyone here had any experience with that.

• Can't say as I have. I'm looking at mixed local/online backup replacements now since we've accumulated a mixed bag of systems, some of which are difficult to managed and not terribly reliable.

As far as I can tell from a quick glance, Asigra is a file backup solution (broadly speaking, most of them do clever stuff with de-duplication and only sending changed blocks). This is fine if that's what you're looking for. We've had a number of servers die in spectacular fashion lately which has shown up just how fragile restoring from a file backup set on to a new system can be, even back on to the same hardware. It can work just fine but the edge cases can really ruin your day.

So, I'm mostly looking at image-based systems such as Acronis (v10, not BUDR) and StorageCraft's ShadowProtect. They both do broadly the same things so I suspect it's mostly going to hinge on pricing. ShadowProtect I know writes things in to the Application log so Kaseya can pick them up from there. Acronis is next on my list to install and viable management/monitoring is high up the list of things I'm looking for. Sorry to hijack your question with a bit of a ramble there.

Graham.

• Hello,

Full disclosure:  I am an Asigra partner and service provider.  That aside...

Pros:

-Very easy, centralized management.  You can view all of your locations and clients in a single view to perform any functions.

-Automatically online but yet local.   Each backup set sends each block offsite automatically in serial.  Additionally, each backup set can be configured to write locally to disk.  This allows you to drop the RTO to below existing tape-based solutions.

-Agentless.  Install the client software on one computer on the LAN and it protects everything it can see.

-Nearly unlimited platform support.  What I tell people is we support everything but the mainframe (z-series).

-Hardware agnostic.

-API capability.  I am not sure of Kaseya's capabilities, but you can send API calls to every component of Asigra and have it perform actions (start backup, retrieve logs, etc.)    The value here really depends on the size of deployment.  

-Licensing.  Very flexible licensing.  You can leverage the infrastructure of an existing partner to reduce costs or bring it in-house.

Cons:

-Event management is very verbose.  It will flag any hiccup as an error.  There are ways to "tune" your event management to deal with this.  It's both a blessing and curse.

-Agentless.  Funny this is a con and it's a stretch but with agentless, the software is dependent upon the vendor's API to get things right.  An easy example is Asigra utilizes Microsoft's VSS technology to back up locked files.  If there is a bug in Microsoft's VSS code, the bug affects the backup.

Graham mentioned image-based backup.  One thing that is very powerful with Asigra is the ability to do snapshot-level backup of virtualized systems.  It does block level backup of an entire snapshot.

I hope this helps.

• Terry,

Is the API feature available at no charge or is that an additional fee/feature that one much activate?

• Good question.  From a service provider there should be no additional charges.

• Thanks for the info Terry. One last question, do you know what DS-Client stands for? I know that it is the Data collector. But what the heck does "DS" mean?

• Data Storage

The product has the ability to be branded by service providers so I assume they kept in generic for that reason.

• Does it do exchange backups/sql backups/system state backups?

Also, how many clients (either by customer, servers, or terabytes of storage) can be supported by one central server? Can you cluster more than one server into a "farm" and manage it from one console?

• The list of support is very large.    

Exchange: store and brick level

SQL: VSS, native, differential, incremental, transaction log truncating

System State: yes.  Asigra has a BMR (bare metal restore) concept where you back up the entire OS drive, system state, and services database to enable point in time recovery of an entire machine to dissimilar hardware.

All agentless with exception to Exchange MLR.  It requires a small service to be installed on the mailbox nodes but its very lightweight and non-intrusive.  Microsoft simply hasn't written an API to allow for brick level views into Exchange.

The Asigra architecture is extremely scalable.  Both the client (DS-Client) and server (DS-System) can be configured in a grid format or active-active cluster.  There is no maximum number of nodes.  Storage is your scalability factor.  However, that said, the storage management of DS-System is very flexible, allowing you to use really any vendor, disk, raid, configuration, etc. on the backend.

Both DS-System and DS-Client have a management console that runs on Windows, Linux, or Mac and can be installed on any number of administrator workstations.  Additionally, you can manage any number of DS-Clients or DS-Systems from this single pane of glass.

• Please let me know if I answered your questions.  

• Terry,

Absolutely did. I may have more though!

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Eli

• Just as an aside to add to the answer above, it's only limited by your ability to process and being on the same network. Obviously for 5 TB of data, you'd want a client that was well above the mininum requirements of a few GB of RAM and a duo-core processor. The nice thing you can do with the interface though is interact with any client you can reach through IP/port. For instance, as long as I allow the traffic I can manage a client at a business from home using the interface.

• Agreed.  What we see is that 99% of the time the bottleneck is simply CPU, memory, and disk i/o on the DS-Client side.   That said, we have a 3-node cluster in one of our data centers that protects about 10 TB of data.  Not that much really.   It's a grid more for the reliability and redundancy than workload.  We essentially do a full backup every night in less than 6 hours.  That data consists of a lot of Exchange and databases so those typically take more processing time than file backups.

Rivalyn is exactly correct on the use of DS-User from a centralized management station (any number of them too).  Our NOC (network operations center) can log into any of our managed customers from their desk and quickly remediate any issues.  Pretty efficient.  It's just a networking concept.