Kaseya Community

Backup and Exchange Server 2003 transaction files.

• I just discovered that none of my transaction files are being processed in Exchange even though we do a full Acronis backup each night. Why is this? I am running an NTBACKUP now to the NAS so they'll ge processed but I figured Acronis would handle this. Am I wrong? -E

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Exchange Server 2003 transaction files.,
    Legacy Posted By Username: espeer
  • Acronis uses VSS to backup the Exchange databases. When this occurs the live Exchange database and transaction files are not archived. I have the same question and have been removing the trans logs manually. After I make sure that I have no problems i will set up a script to delete those logs automatically.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Tab,
    Legacy Posted By Username: spike
  • Ok this is a BAD thing to do! The way that Exchange handles backup and restore is very different and deleting log files is not going to be good should you have to do a restore.

Here is what I recommend for this to work. Run a NTBackup and just set it up to backup exchange. This will mark the DB as backed up and then it will clear the log files. Then have your script delete the backup file.

This would be much improved over the manually deleting log files.

Sean Fullerton
    eMonarch
    Author: Special Edition Using Active Directory.

Legacy Posted By Username: sfullerton
  • I was under the impression that VSS would image everything include the Exchange Store and Logs, but Exchange won't know to process the logs and purge it.

If it didn't image Exchange store and logs, you won't be able to do a full BU/DR. Correct me if this is not the case?

Legacy Posted By Username: ksaccount
  • Yes that is correct.

"VSS is a set of COM APIs that implements a framework that enables volume backups to be performed while applications on a system continue to write to the volumes. Requestors, writers, and providers communicate in the VSS framework to create and restore volume shadow copies. A shadow copy of a volume duplicates all the data held on that volume at one well-defined instant in time."

So the key here is that the VSS is just a framework that the backup software must run within. The VSS support provided by the Acronis image product does NOT provide functionality to perform a true Exchange database backup.

Yes you can image the server, yes you can restore the server. No you can not due true DR for Exchange, ie restore a single mailbox, restore Exchange to a point in time, etc.

Sean Fullerton

Legacy Posted By Username: sfullerton
  • Good info.

Anyone know if Acronis has plans to do this?

Legacy Posted By Username: BenT