Kaseya Community

Grey Screen of Death - Status on fixing it?

• What is the current prognosis on fixing the GSOD. That is what I call it when a server freezes at a few minutes after the scheduled Acronis backup kicks off. A random error will usually flood the event log, as if the server has gotten stuck on something. The server appears to be dead, Kaseya reports it as down, but it responds to pings. If one looks at the console, you will see a grey screen with nothing on it but an arrowhead cursor that moves. CTRL-ALT-DEL has not effect. The only cure for it is a reset or power cycle.

My only server that this is happening on now (two or three times in the last week) is running SBS 2003 SP1 and has version 3818 of BU/DR.

Is there a patch? I have not done anything to the registry since I was under the impression that the latest version of BU/DR obviated the need for a patch or hack.

All in all, things have settled down from how messed up it was a few months ago.

TIA,

Randy

Legacy Forum Name: Grey Screen of Death - Status on fixing it?,
    Legacy Posted By Username: RandyS
  • Nope... nothing still that I know of. On our affected client machines we had to disable VSS and stop major databases before backup. This is a real pain and I expected a solution by now that would let us go back to VSS.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Tab,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • We are seeing the same problem. In addition, we tried to use the BUDR to backup the KServer itself and found that when VSSis enabledthe backup takes the SQL DB offline andputs a halt to all Kaseya functions. Has anyone else had any success using Kaseya BUDR to backup the KServer?To say we are disappointed inthe BUDRis an understatement.

Chris

Legacy Posted By Username: cleach2637
  • I am in the process of evaluating Kaseya and the BUDR now. It looks like this has been going on for months and there doesn't seem to be a good answer to it yet. I was hoping to have fewer problems with BUDR than with CA and Veritas products. Looks like there are just different problems related to other things besides tape drives.

I'm concerned there doesn't seem to be much of a response from Kaseya on it, considering the impact it has and the number of people it seems to be affecting. Being in the evaluation of the product, I'm concerned as to whether this is a pattern in other parts of the product as well, where relatively serious issues take months to get resolved.

Greg

Legacy Posted By Username: cmi
  • I must say that this backup problem is more related to how Acronis integrates with Kaseya than a problem with Kaseya. Having said that, I know that Acronis has been brought in to specifically look at the issues with BU/DR, but I am not sure if it is a Priority 1 problem for Kaseya.

Other than the annoying little problems with BU/DR, we have been more than happy with Kaseya.

I would suggest that after testing and evaluating Kaseya, if you choose to come on board, make sure that the server you pick to run your Kserver is scalable to your expected utilization. We started out with an older dual 1Ghz server and after we put several hundred machine accounts on it, it started having to work real hard to keep up. We recently upgraded to a new server with plenty of RAM and it is running easy now.

Please note: All of my backups are Image backups. I use image backups because I can recover files from images, but I cannot do a cold metal restore from a file backup. Because of this, it is my opinion that from a Disaster Recover point of view, image is the only way to go. I am not sure if the file/folder backup users are having any of the problems that I am having. Also, because the initial backup file is so big, it will take days and day to copy the initial tib file to your offsite storage location, so be aware that you may need a monthly manual component (copy to removable and carry offsite) as part of your backup service you provide to clients.

Randy

Legacy Posted By Username: RandyS
  • RandyS wrote:
    I must say that this backup problem is more related to how Acronis integrates with Kaseya than a problem with Kaseya. Having said that, I know that Acronis has been brought in to specifically look at the issues with BU/DR, but I am not sure if it is a Priority 1 problem for Kaseya.

Other than the annoying little problems with BU/DR, we have been more than happy with Kaseya.

I would suggest that after testing and evaluating Kaseya, if you choose to come on board, make sure that the server you pick to run your Kserver is scalable to your expected utilization. We started out with an older dual 1Ghz server and after we put several hundred machine accounts on it, it started having to work real hard to keep up. We recently upgraded to a new server with plenty of RAM and it is running easy now.

Please note: All of my backups are Image backups. I use image backups because I can recover files from images, but I cannot do a cold metal restore from a file backup. Because of this, it is my opinion that from a Disaster Recover point of view, image is the only way to go. I am not sure if the file/folder backup users are having any of the problems that I am having. Also, because the initial backup file is so big, it will take days and day to copy the initial tib file to your offsite storage location, so be aware that you may need a monthly manual component (copy to removable and carry offsite) as part of your backup service you provide to clients.

Randy

I have to admit that I am still happier with BUDR than I am with Backup Exec for sure.

The lack of response on this is not acceptable at all though. I don't care if BUDR is an Acronis product. I pay Kaseya and that makes them responsible.

What happend to esculation schedules? What I mean is I would expect a bug that is annoying or minimal to get a delay like this for a fix. But critical crashing types of Bugs are supposed to get immediate response. This reminds me of how much I miss Novell back in the mid-90's. When we found bugs they would escalate to devs and the devs would re-code and release a beta patch in as little as 24 hours. That's how it's supposed to be.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I appreciate the feedback. With system lockups, I would have expected this to be a higher priority as well and it makes me a little nervous. For a system that is supposed to help keep things operating as well as possible and increase up-time to be causing systems to crash is not good to say the least.

If you are happier with the Acronis (even with this problem occuring) than with Backup Exec, be glad you weren't using Arcserve. Backup Exec has been considerably better for us than Arcserve, which is why I was hoping to find something that works well.

Greg

Legacy Posted By Username: cmi