Kaseya Community

Backups locking up Windows 2003 servers

• Thanks! Good info in that link.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Tab,
    Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • Wow, what a thread...

Ok, I got the part about AD restore mode, but when I do a system state restore, am I not assuming that I have a 'fresh' system state to restore from? Does the snapshotting create a SS backup? If not, is that something else that needs to be accomplished?

Not to get off-subject of this thread, but this is real important info...

Legacy Posted By Username: RandyS
  • RandyS wrote:
    Wow, what a thread...

Ok, I got the part about AD restore mode, but when I do a system state restore, am I not assuming that I have a 'fresh' system state to restore from? Does the snapshotting create a SS backup? If not, is that something else that needs to be accomplished?

Not to get off-subject of this thread, but this is real important info...

It backs up everything fine, is just that AD never knows that it was restored. This is the difference. BUDR litterally brings the computer back to the moment in time that you backed it up. So if you read the Microsoft articles in the thread I posted it explains why its important for AD to know it was restored.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • We have experienced the described server lockup issue on one of our servers the other day. What is interesting is that we don't have a Kaseya/backup agent on this server, it simply runs SQL 2000 and usesa retail version of Acronis True Image Server 9.1 (build 3677) that is scheduled to do an image backup of all partitions to a NAS nightly. Looking through the Acronis log it appears that the system locked up right after the backup started. The last log entry read:

"Locking partition C:..."

The following night the server backed up successfully.

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • bellcpa wrote:
    We have experienced the described server lockup issue on one of our servers the other day. What is interesting is that we don't have a Kaseya/backup agent on this server, it simply runs SQL 2000 and usesa retail version of Acronis True Image Server 9.1 (build 3677) that is scheduled to do an image backup of all partitions to a NAS nightly. Looking through the Acronis log it appears that the system locked up right after the backup started. The last log entry read:

"Locking partition C:..."

The following night the server backed up successfully.

-Ed

Exactly the same problem we are experiencing.

• Does Kaseya monitor these threads on a daily basis? If so, it sure looks like someone needs to get on the horn to Acronis and find out what is going on. I have an open case, so I will make sure that it is brought to their attention.

Randy

• I think that the general consensus is that Kaseya does NOT have anyone monitoring these threads on a daily basis.

I also have an open ticket with them on this issue, so we'll see where it goes.

• Vince,

Did I see you post on the SMBManagedServices group on Yahoo yesterday? I just joined it after finding out about it at SMB Nation last week.

Randy

• Yessir, t'was me. I think Farzon also posts on there as well.

• Wehave also seen this issue with win 2003 servers locking up in the first few minutes of backup on a weekly basis. It was on some Citrix Servers that were running Win 2003 servernot yetpatched to SP1. I removed all Acronis installs and manually cleaned up the registry of any Acronis ref. Patched the servers up to the latest Win Updates and re-installed the Kaseya Acronis solution. I haven't seen the problem in 2 weeks.

Is it possible the upgrade from the last build of Acronis left something undesirable behind? Mabe manually scrubbing was the fix this time - not sure.

-ab

Legacy Posted By Username: abrogan
  • Has anyone tried updating the Acronis Drivers?

Download and install the latest SnapAPI driver from Acronis. It will require a reboot after installation.

http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SnapAPI_l_s_e.exe

Legacy Posted By Username: beedsley
  • I got a reply from John Nuttall concerning the lockup problem:

Author: john nuttall
    Date: 2:28:16 pm 19-Sep-06
    Hello,
    please see this information from Acronis Support

We have a workaround that is worth trying. At this point we surmise that
    there can be a conflict with the HDD Controller.

The workaround will be to create a maxsplitblock key.

Here are the instructions:

1. Run regedit and find
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\snapman\Parameters" registry key:

2. Add "Parameters" key if it does not exist yet:

3. Add new "DWORD Value"

4. Set the new item's name to "MaxSplitBlock" and its value equal to "100" (decimal):

5. The workaround is completed:

Please reply back if the issue persists and we will continue investigation.

Kaseya Support

I did this for the 4 servers in question. Each time I had to create the Parameters key. Now I just wait and see.

Randy

• RandyS wrote:
    I got a reply from John Nuttall concerning the lockup problem:

Author: john nuttall
    Date: 2:28:16 pm 19-Sep-06
    Hello,
    please see this information from Acronis Support

We have a workaround that is worth trying. At this point we surmise that
    there can be a conflict with the HDD Controller.

The workaround will be to create a maxsplitblock key.

Here are the instructions:

1. Run regedit and find
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicessnapmanParameters" registry key:

2. Add "Parameters" key if it does not exist yet:

3. Add new "DWORD Value"

4. Set the new item's name to "MaxSplitBlock" and its value equal to "100" (decimal):

5. The workaround is completed:

Please reply back if the issue persists and we will continue investigation.

Kaseya Support

I did this for the 4 servers in question. Each time I had to create the Parameters key. Now I just wait and see.

Randy

Our server hung again this morning. We applied the registry change above. We should know in 4-5 days.

• We had 3 servers with this problem, now with Kaseya Supports Help all are running:

Server 1: Install SnapAPI driver update

Server 2: Install SnapAIP driver update and set MaxSplitBlock=100

Server 3: No changes, it is working after getting it fully patched

Thanks David at Kaseya Support!!!

Legacy Posted By Username: beedsley
  • Is a reboot required after the registry change?

Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl