Kaseya Community

Backups locking up Windows 2003 servers

• We are experiencing severe failures with the latest version of Acronis backup.

Three(3) Windows 2003 servers are locking up when the Backup runs. All 3 are fully patched, 2 have different hardware raid controllers, 1 has software raid.

Uninstall and reinstall does not help. Very small test backups seem to work just fine, but standard ones over 1GB are failing and locking the Server up, where only a reboot will get itto respond. We are able to access files on the machine remotely, but no remote management, and locally it looks as if it is frozen.

2 servers we have had to turn off backups due to repeated lockups.

1 server is still running and is being monitored forfailures.

Server issues start being reported soon after the backup begins and go away completely if we turn off the backups.

Who else is experiencing this?

Legacy Forum Name: Backups locking up Windows 2003 servers,
    Legacy Posted By Username: beedsley
  • We have been experiencing this on one of our Windows 2003 servers. The problem has been present for several versions of the backup agent. When the problem is being experienced it kills all remote access, the Kaseya agent stops checking in and no problems are logged to any logs that we have been able to find. By using time correlation we have identified the problem as the backup process but that is all the information we have.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Tab,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mgolicher
  • We are also experiencing the same thing. Usually when you sit at the console of the failed server, it is a grey screen with a functional mouse pointer, but everything else is in slow motion. Could not run task manager. The only solution is the reset button or power switch. Once it is back up, the event log is filled with a repetition of anerror. Error changes each time it locks up, but it always repeats one of them. I noticed that the freeze-up started about 6-8 minutes into the backup process, looks like it is just about the time that VSS if finishing its snapshot. I attributed the problem to SQL running or some other backup program getting in the way, but I have pretty much eliminated all of these. I did not uninstall Backup Exec or VytalVault, but I set their services to "Disabled". I also ran a pre-script to turn SQL off and a post-script to turn it back on after the backup. To date, I have had only one freeze-up since the disabling of services. (This phenomenon has occurred on an SBS server and a dedicated SQL server at the same site.)

Also have a problem with re-installing/upgrading Acronis, especially after the 3733 release. I currently have a server that I cannot reinstall. If I run the 92Mb msi file, it asks for a key that I do not have access to, so I cannot interactively reinstall the product, either.

Randy Spangler

Legacy Posted By Username: RandyS
  • We are also having this problem on a client server running SQL 2000. Same problem, the server is "on" but you can't remote access it directly from MSTSC, Kaseya, etc. When we go onsite and reach the console it is grey with the mouse curser movable but we cannot login to it or do anything (but move the mouse around). We have to hard reset the machine.

This all happends about 3-4 mins after the backup begins. Doesn't happen every backup either. It seems its on the 3-4th day of backup.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • How many have opened a "Support Ticket" with Kaseya?

Shoot me a private message if you like, just click on "beedsley" and select Private message.

Thanks.

• Although it has been happening for a while nowwe have not opened a ticket because only one of several servers we are backing up is having this issue. Until this thread popped up I thought that it must be something unique to that server.

It seems SQL 2000 may be a common component with this issue. This is the only system that we are backing up that has SQL 2000 installed. Is anyone having the issue on a system without SQL 2000 installed?

Legacy Posted By Username: mgolicher
  • We have regular problems with 2 servers. 1 has SQL2000 and 1 does not.

• Guess its time to provide more detail:

Windows 2003 Standard SP1. Fully patched Microsoft patches.

MS SQL 2000.

Compaq ML370.

Newest version of Kaseya BUDR.

Backing up over the network.

Happends within the first 5 mins of backup.

Happends on the 3rd or 4th day of backup.

• This is getting more bizarre... Last night it looked like I had successfully set up a local server and an offsite server, all onsite. I set up a standard Kaseya Agent XP workstation as the Offsite Server. I have it pushing data out to a NAS on the local network. I have three servers which are backing up (usually successfully) to their own local USB hard drive. I have each of the three servers acting as a local server pointing to the same 'offsite server'. Therefore, the offsite server 'pulls' the data off of the respective server's usb drive and stores it on the NAS. Last night I got this all working and not too long into the process, the NAS froze up. Coincidence? I don't know, but I am starting to get a complex over this ;-)

Went in tonight and reset the NAS and shortly thereafter, I looked at one of the server.location folders and the .tib file was increasing in size, indicating that the process was moving along.

While I was there, I tried to open a command prompt on the main server (SBS 2003 SP1). It did nothing. I finally got Taskmgr open and found at least 25 cmd processes running, but no command window. I ended all of them and then rebooted the server. Upon reboot, I investigated the system log and I saw a repeated error that I have never before seen: "The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter". This is SRV event 2011. It started at 3:10AM which is right after the server kicks off its backup routine (even though it is set for 1AM, it launches every night at 3AM whereas all the others go at 1AM as scheduled.) This error occurs twice in the same second and then 30 seconds later, it occurs twice again. It had been doing this every 30 seconds since Sept 12th. Strangely, other than the cmd issue, the server seemed to be running fine.

I really was hoping that I had found a cost effective solution for backing up for my clients. I have been in this business for 25 years and ever since my first 10Mb tape drive on an IBM PC (which cost over $1000 20 years ago), backup has been a serious thorn in my flesh. It just never seems to work.

Judging by the other posts in this thread, IT LOOKS LIKE WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, DOESN'T IT???

Randy

Legacy Posted By Username: RandyS
  • RandyS wrote:
    This is getting more bizarre... Last night it looked like I had successfully set up a local server and an offsite server, all onsite. I set up a standard Kaseya Agent XP workstation as the Offsite Server. I have it pushing data out to a NAS on the local network. I have three servers which are backing up (usually successfully) to their own local USB hard drive. I have each of the three servers acting as a local server pointing to the same 'offsite server'. Therefore, the offsite server 'pulls' the data off of the respective server's usb drive and stores it on the NAS. Last night I got this all working and not too long into the process, the NAS froze up. Coincidence? I don't know, but I am starting to get a complex over this ;-)

Went in tonight and reset the NAS and shortly thereafter, I looked at one of the server.location folders and the .tib file was increasing in size, indicating that the process was moving along.

While I was there, I tried to open a command prompt on the main server (SBS 2003 SP1). It did nothing. I finally got Taskmgr open and found at least 25 cmd processes running, but no command window. I ended all of them and then rebooted the server. Upon reboot, I investigated the system log and I saw a repeated error that I have never before seen: "The server's configuration parameter "irpstacksize" is too small for the server to use a local device. Please increase the value of this parameter". This is SRV event 2011. It started at 3:10AM which is right after the server kicks off its backup routine (even though it is set for 1AM, it launches every night at 3AM whereas all the others go at 1AM as scheduled.) This error occurs twice in the same second and then 30 seconds later, it occurs twice again. It had been doing this every 30 seconds since Sept 12th. Strangely, other than the cmd issue, the server seemed to be running fine.

I really was hoping that I had found a cost effective solution for backing up for my clients. I have been in this business for 25 years and ever since my first 10Mb tape drive on an IBM PC (which cost over $1000 20 years ago), backup has been a serious thorn in my flesh. It just never seems to work.

Judging by the other posts in this thread, IT LOOKS LIKE WE ALL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, DOESN'T IT???

Randy

Hi Randy,

Part of the problem you are having is with file shares on an USB drive. This is a known problem and requires a Registry change (+reboot) to resolve. This isn't specific to Kaseya but a Microsoft problem. I wish I remembered the REG Edit, but I forget. Lookup the error on Google and you will find it.

• Man, I hope I don't jinx myself with this, but so far, we are having good luck with BUDR. We are backing up 5 Windows 2003 Servers (four are Dell PowerEdge 2850s and one is the newer PowerEdge 2950). These servers are:

1. Our Kaseya Server (which is running SQL Server 2000, and obviously, IIS)
    2. Exchange Server (Exchange 2003 Enterprise)
    3. Our Domain Controller
    4. Ourdevelopment web server (running SQL Server 2005 and IIS)
    5. Our production web server (SQL Server 2005 and IIS)

All are backing up to a Dell PowerEdge 1750 with a DAS (with 2.0T of storage) acting as the Local Server.

I have an Offsite Server at my house, a custom-built machine (AMD Athlon 64, 1G RAM, etc.) running SBS 2003.

I've got about 120G of backup data on the Local Server that is replicated to the Offsite Server.

I'm not sure that we're doing anything different from what you are doing, but I'd be happy to provide more information about these boxes to see if there is anything that stands out that is different from boxes that are failing. If anything, it sounds like an Acronis driver or program issue.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • Here is how many we have out there. We are having great success with BUDR except for the 1 client server I was talking about.

Here is our usuage:

Backup Licenses - Workstation: 16/850 Server: 14/150

I have personally restored (from bare metal) 2 Domain Controllers, and 1 Exchange 2003 server since we started using BUDR. They all restored without a hitch.

Note: For those that don't know, you MUST be careful when restoring a DC by setting the special registry key (or re-restoring AD using NTBACKUP) or you will hose your AD.

-Farzon

• Is there documentation about restoring a DC with BUDR? I'd like to have that for reference since it might come up.

Thanks!

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • This thread tells all: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=96564&highlight=restore+domain+controller

• Come to think of it, the details of that thread should become part of the Kaseya ...... should I dare say.............

**documentation**....

Wink