Kaseya Community

Bandwidth Throttling

• No matter what value I set for the offsite replication, it still maxes out the available bandwidth. Is this just a smoke and mirrors selection?

Legacy Forum Name: Bandwidth Throttling,
    Legacy Posted By Username: dng
  • It works. Just not how it seems. I talked to a Kaseya dev about it one time and he told me how it works.

Basically it uses 100% bandwith, then pauses many seconds (or minutes) - so that whatever bandwith used plus the paused time = the the throttle speed you chose. So basically you will get a big spike followed by a big pause. This will happen over and over until completed.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Disaster Recovery,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Take note the replication process is measured in KB and most circuits are measured in Kb. We have most of our systems throttled between 64KB and 92KB.

A few months back there was a problem where the transfer would run at 100%, pause and then resume the transfer at 100%. This caused large, repetitive spikes and is not how the throttling process was to work. When a patch was released to address the problem,the throttling maintained a consistent transfer rate.

There may be brief initial spike but then the system will do sampling and adjust the transfer rate. You should not see large peaks and valleys if you are graphing the transfer rate.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Disaster Recovery,
    Legacy Posted By Username: mgolicher