Kaseya Community

DR Success

• Having tested the DR in 4.5, I encountered a number of bugs in it. Problems with IBM array drivers was one, also unable to boot up after a bare metal restore was another. Could not remotely mount images/folders without it rebooting the server. Acronis was suppose to fix the problems. If they actually did provide the fix to Kaseya is a question.

Well, time has passed and now looking into it again. In the course of time, I am sure there are VSA users that have installed the DR options on workstations and servers.

Has anyone successfully performed a bare metal restore with DR yet? Also, has using the DR option been pain free or a night mare for you ?

TIA

Legacy Forum Name: DR Success,
    Legacy Posted By Username: shickey
  • I can see from the other post:

Kaseya / Acronis causing BSOD and full rebuild of OS

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Disaster Recovery,
  • I have successfully restored a BUDR image. The scenario:

• Two identical Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers (first partition a RAID 1 array for W2K3 Enterprise Server and second partition a RAID 5 array for data)
    • Installed W2K3 on one box after installing it in the rack.
    • Installed Kaseya agent and used BUDR to back up the partitions.
    • Powered up the second server after installing it in the rack and booted off of the bootable ISO image from Kaseya.
    • Restored from the image file that was stored on another server in the network.
    • Second server booted right up after restoring. I had to change the IP address and also had to change machine name and domain registration, but it all came up.

Granted, these were identical boxes, so no issues with drivers, etc. were expected. I will be trying a restore of an image from a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with single core Xeons to a PE 2950 with dual core Xeons later this week to test if that will work.

Legacy Posted By Username: vplaza
  • We have restored many servers and workstations with success. Exchange, DNS, Domain Controllers, SQL, etc. In every instance we were successful with restoring.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • That's definitely good to hear. On those Exchange and SQL boxes, do you use scripts to shut off the databases or do you use VSS? We have customers running W2K, not W2K3, so VSS isn't available.

• Are you currently able to remotely mount an image and browse thru it and see all the folders and files remotely ?

• Yes, I am able to do this.

• All of our restores have been with VSS. For our 2k clients we use stop/start scripts. I can't see why it wouldn't work.

• All of our restores have been with VSS. For our 2k clients we use stop/start scripts. I can't see why it wouldn't work.