Kaseya Community

LaCie NAS - Too many connections

• Hello,

I am hoping that someone has some ideas on an issue I am seeing with the use of a NAS device and the Backup (Acronis.)

I am pretty certain that it is not an Acronis issue or a Kaseya issue but I am hoping that someone may have found a way to overcome it.

Right now, we have multiple servers placing volume images to a LaCie 1TB NAS unit. About a week and a half of making images I start to see the following error:

No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept.

Trying to create a file on one of the shares in Windows gives me the same error. I can log in and see the connections and reboot the NAS device to free up connections.

Upon doing some digging, the NAS device is set up with XP Embedded and it appears that XP has a maximum number of connections to shares as 10. It is built into the oS and cannot be changed (at least that I could find.)

Interestingly enough, prior to the upgrade the 4.6 and the new version of Acronis, it all worked without this issue.

So, I am hoping that someone out there may have run across this and may have a decent solution/workaround other than rebooting the NAS device every 10 days.

Many thanks,

Peter Jones

Paradigm Computer Consulting

Legacy Forum Name: LaCie NAS - Too many connections,
    Legacy Posted By Username: PJones
  • I was considering one of those LaCie NAS devices. How do you like it? I couldn't find any information on if you could RAID the NAS drives, so I'm assuming you can't, which I find disappointing.

I thought the connection limit on XP Home was 10, XP Pro was 25 and XP Embedded...I don't know. Don't quote me, those are just numbers that stick in my head.

Interested on if you find a solution as I was considering the same device. Does it hit it's limit with just one backup job running?

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Disaster Recovery,
    Legacy Posted By Username: nvelocity
  • ...double post.... Sad

• I like the NAS devices. This issue is causing problems though. I probably wasn't clear in my original post but multiple sources backup to this device. I haven't found an answer yet other than to reboot it.

The devices do have the ability to be usb devices and I may go down that road. My only qualm is loosing the gig network connection.

• We bought and returned one of these devices.

The FTP Server would continually hang during simple transfers. For us, this is unacceptable.

We also noticed our backups took a very long time to complete (hours longer), even though thedevice has a gig nic.

• A year later butt...

I was able to install an agent on a lacie appliance from the Lan Discovery, install agent option.

I created a backup post script that schedules a script to run on the lacie appliance to restart the Server (lanmanserver) service, which clears all connections.

i.e.

net stop lanmanserver

net start lanmanserver

There isn't a computer browser service on the lacie, so it doesn't need to be restarted.

Legacy Posted By Username: myArch-man
  • myArch-man wrote:
    A year later butt...

I was able to install an agent on a lacie appliance from the Lan Discovery, install agent option.

I created a backup post script that schedules a script to run on the lacie appliance to restart the Server (lanmanserver) service, which clears all connections.

i.e.

net stop lanmanserver

net start lanmanserver

There isn't a computer browser service on the lacie, so it doesn't need to be restarted.

What kind of speeds are you getting out of these (MB/Sec). This device would be heaven sent if the speed was there. I would love to be able to load an agent on our NAS' out there at clients.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • To be honest, I wouldn't do it again with the lacie ethernet appliance. The connection issue has been nothing but a pain in the neck, and my workaround is certainly less than perfect.

On a 100 MB connection, I'm getting about 250MB a minute.A 40GB backup (backupfile size, not data size)tooka bit over 2 hours.

The lacie has a gig nic, but I haven't tapped it.

• I ended up setting up a script to reboot it every couple of days. Our sites are not using the Lacies for anything other than a backup storage area so the reboot doesn't cause any issues.

• Ow my gosh, I would expect at least 15MB/sec (900/mb Min). That is even poor performance. 25-30MB/sec should be the minimum and the goal should be around 40-60.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I checked my logs on the Kaseya Backup. I do have mine on a GB network and I have a server that backs up 26.9GB to it in an hour. I have three other servers that are schedule staggered but overlap that do about 12-13GB an hour each.

• Let's not mince bits and bytes. Wink

It's all about the backup window.