Kaseya Community

Offsite Replication

• After reading the Backup and Disaster Recovery PreRelease pdf about the changes to BU/DR in 4.6, I have become more and more intrigued about the Offsite feature vs the current setup. I am interested to know more about this feature in greater detail.

The document states:

"A new Kaseya Offsite Replication Server has been added to support offsite replication and the Kaseya agent technology will be used to the transfer the files to the offsite replication server. "

Is this a seperate application that will need to be installed on the computer/server that will be storing the replications? If so, is it required to use a MS OS.

In addition, the document also states:

"There can be any number of offsite replication servers along with granular configuration for local servers that transfer the data to the offsite replication servers including the ability to throttle bandwidth consumption."

Can each managed device with bu-dr enabled be mapped to different replication servers or are the replication servers entered into the main administration of kaseya and then the files are load balanced between the multiple servers.

Overall, would you please explain this completely redesigned offsite replication feature including a scenario how one would use multi replication servers.

Thank you for this enhanced feature...it proven successful, I believe it will definetely provide a much better avenue than current processes for offsite replication.

- Cheers.

Legacy Forum Name: Offsite Replication,
    Legacy Posted By Username: expertec
  • The offsite replication servers require the agent to be installed and must be running Windows.

Legacy Forum Name: Backup and Disaster Recovery,
    Legacy Posted By Username: cleach2637
  • It would have been nice for them to change the FTP option to be SFTP while adding the new feature mentioned in the release notes since FTP servers are cheaper to "rent" via other companies instead of a dedicated Windows server.

I am just hoping the agents talk directly to each other and do not relay via the Kaseya server since I was planning on hosting my offsite backups out of state, so if the server relays the offsite backups offsite it will cost me more bandwidth. Well time to take the plunge and install 4.6.1.0 since I was waiting on offering off site backups via Kaseya until I got to test the improvements in this verision.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris_toppan
  • That is an extremely great case in point Chris!

With that said, here is a Question:

I am running the Kaseya Server at my location, I am going to be using a Dedicated Hosting Facility to manage the Off-Site BU. Based on cleach2637's response, that means that I will have to actually use a dedicated server with some a windows operating system. That will increase my costs a bit. But I can deal with that! So, here is the clincher!

If I have my main server at Location A and my Off-Site BU at Location B, how is the information propagated across the wire from the Client Office. Would it:
    1. Send data through the agent to the server and then the server relays it to the assigned BU system.
    2. The agent learns where the assigned BU system is located and directly maps to that system.
    3. A blend of 1 and 2.
    4. None of the Above
    This information to me is quite critical as it will help me determine my upgrade path that I am currently in the process of doing.

I am sure that there are many others that have this same cloud over their heads.

Thank you for your quick response.

-Cheers

Legacy Posted By Username: expertec
  • expertec wrote:
    That is an extremely great case in point Chris!

With that said, here is a Question:

I am running the Kaseya Server at my location, I am going to be using a Dedicated Hosting Facility to manage the Off-Site BU. Based on cleach2637's response, that means that I will have to actually use a dedicated server with some a windows operating system. That will increase my costs a bit. But I can deal with that! So, here is the clincher!

If I have my main server at Location A and my Off-Site BU at Location B, how is the information propagated across the wire from the Client Office. Would it:

1. Send data through the agent to the server and then the server relays it to the assigned BU system.
    2. The agent learns where the assigned BU system is located and directly maps to that system.
    3. A blend of 1 and 2.
    4. None of the Above
    This information to me is quite critical as it will help me determine my upgrade path that I am currently in the process of doing.

I am sure that there are many others that have this same cloud over their heads.

Thank you for your quick response.

-Cheers

I am a beta tester so I have tested this. Here is how it works, it really doesn't use the Kserver at all. All the Kserver does is provide the location (IP or hostname) of your offsite server(s). The source machine would read from the Kserver the IP/Hostname of its offsite destination server (the server at your colo) and try to contact your server directly via the port you assign to your kagent. So basically, all you need todo is open this port to your colo server and you are set.

Hope this helps.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Thanks for getting back far. Since I have been playing around with the SNMP monitoring the last 24 hours, I just got time to look at the backup option updates. After reading the backup options closer I saw the choice of the off site port. I like the change to allow the offsite backup transfers to be resumed.

Legacy Posted By Username: chris_toppan