Kaseya Community

Where do you store your Acronis backups

• We are starting to roll out acronis more and more to our workstations. curious to know where everyone here stores the backup images? we are discussing onsite NAS units or hard drive partitioning. 

does the kaseya backup module enable us to backup straight to a cloud provider? has anyone done that?

• We store backups on a local NAS.

KBU doesn't support any cloud providers - you do have off-site replication, but it only works to another kaseya/acronis based agent, not to "any" cloud storage vendor.

Many NAS's now support cloud sync (Qnap, Synology, etc.) so you can use that capability to then sync backup images to a cloud provider - the issue is the sync controlled by the NAS, rather than Kaseya, so you can't check on the sync using Kaseya tools (unless you can develop your own monitoring scripts etc.).

• Hi

As Craig has said above, we generally also use NAS devices. We do use USB drives for customers that are on laptops, but generally NAS drives are better, we have noticed recently that some variants of crytolocker can encrypt the TIBS if they are on an accessible drive.

• I have also noticed this, but from what we've seen it's only if the drive location is mapped and not UNC. (Z:\ not \\IP Address\)

• thanks everyone. the challenge we are looking at with NAS units is the extra layer of complexity it adds. while its not a super technical setup, it still is an additional port on a switch, power cord, IP address and most importantly another expense that we then have to monitor for hardware failure.

I can certainly see the value in acronis, but what to do with the images is a real challange

• , We use Acronis for almost all backups (except real time) But for the smaller customers with up to 5 backups, Desktops we either add a secondary drive to them or get them a Buffalo NAS. For servers we use a HighRely (its basically a Raid 1 NAS)  Laptops we use just a  WD external drive, Hard Drive Partitioning is not recommended in case the Drives Fail. My opinion is, as long as its a raid 1 NAS you'll be fine.