Kaseya Community

Kaseya Backup and SBS Backup Issues

This question is answered

We're experiencing a problem with what appears to be the Kaseya backup conflicting with Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy Service on a couple clients that we've recently migrated over from our older Kaseya installation.

Basically, it appears that when a machine has the version 9.7-8319 of the backup, and they're also running SBS backups (which use Volume Shadow Copy), the SBS backups have started failing after the installation of the 9.7-8319 backup client.

Interestingly, we have a third client in the same situation (recently migrated, running both Kaseya backups and SBS backups) that does not have the problem at all, and they're running the v9.5-8173 backup.

In troubleshooting the SBS backup failures, I'm pointed to a Microsoft support article on the subject: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;941956   that suggests running the command vssadmin list providers which in all instances shows two providers, the Microsoft VSS system provider, and then the Acronis VSS provider.

C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
   Provider type: System
   Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Version: 1.0.0.7

Provider name: 'Acronis VSS SW Provider'
   Provider type: Software
   Provider Id: {f782463b-33bb-4043-ad8d-60b728d26a6c}
   Version: 1.0

Again, the client machines with the above config, they're running the version 9.7-8319 of the backup.

On the client who is working correctly (no errors) on version 9.5-8173, the same command yields this:

C:\Documents and Settings\paradigmcomputer>vssadmin list providers
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001 Microsoft Corp.

Provider name: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
   Provider type: System
   Provider Id: {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}
   Version: 1.0.0.7

Provider name: 'Acronis VSS HW Provider'
   Provider type: Hardware
   Provider Id: {f5dbcc43-b847-494e-8083-f030501da611}
   Version: 1.0

Note the differences.

1) Acronis VSS HW Provider (system working correctly) vs Acronis VSS SW Provider (systems not working correctly)
2) provider typs of Hardware vs Software

(and of course, different provider IDs)

Anybody else run into this?  Any suggestions for how to mitigate this conflict?  I'm a little leery of the Microsoft suggested Registry Edit in that support article until I've exhausted other remedies.

Thanks very much for any assistance!!

Darin

dninness@paradigmcomputer.com

Verified Answer
  • I would check the logs in the settings in the backup.  Another bug if you are using the 9.7-8319 is that you may get  Warning! Unable to use VSS.   I have a few servers which were upgraded from earlier version of acronis and new installs.   It is a bug that support says they are working on but with BUDR4 comming out hopefully next week I am hoping this fixes some of these issues.   If you are getting the Warning! Unable to use VSS then you will want to stop and start the exchange or SQL or other VSS enabled databases for 2-3 min just to be safe.

All Replies
  • Just a follow up from yesterday.

On one of the servers experiencing this problem, I applied the Microsoft registry edit as detailed here (support.microsoft.com/default.aspx). This change forces NTBackup to use the Microsoft VSS provider.

I scheduled the box to reboot prior to the backup window last night.  Last night's SBS backups completed without error, as did the Kaseya-based backups (yay!)

At another client who we've moved over to v6 of Kaseya, they have two servers that run Veritas server backup as well as the Kaseya backup.  On one server, the backup version is 9.1-3926, whereas on the other its 9.7-8319.  Guess which one is throwing shadow copy errors on its backups? Yup, the one with 9.7-8319.  Since this one is Veritas not NTBackup, I'm going to tread a little more lightly, but I bet the same fix may help.

I want to confirm that all the backups are running smoothly before I declare victory, but thats the progress so far.

Thanks!

Darin

dninness@paradigmcomputer.com

• I would check the logs in the settings in the backup.  Another bug if you are using the 9.7-8319 is that you may get  Warning! Unable to use VSS.   I have a few servers which were upgraded from earlier version of acronis and new installs.   It is a bug that support says they are working on but with BUDR4 comming out hopefully next week I am hoping this fixes some of these issues.   If you are getting the Warning! Unable to use VSS then you will want to stop and start the exchange or SQL or other VSS enabled databases for 2-3 min just to be safe.

• Kaseya Backup 4.0 will integrate VSS capabilities so that this problem should go away.  There are also some terrific speed enhancements that come with the move to the Acronis 10 engine.

• Is it available yet? :)