Kaseya Community

Backups locking up Windows 2003 servers

• We're a new Kaseya customer. It appears this thred is coming up to a YEAR OLD!!!

Is this the type of support we can expect moving forward with Kaseya? I'm very nervous right now!

Maybe this isn't specifically a "Kaseya" issue, but they are certainly PUSHING the soluton with NO notification whatsoever that it's broken.

Gavin

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Tab,
    Legacy Posted By Username: Gavin
  • I actually had tha issue on a few servers a long time ago and at the time is was quite fustrating. But subsequent versions of Acronis elimated the issue for us a while ago. We are currently running Acronis on about 47 servers and over 200 desktopsranging from Windows XP/Vista/2000/2003, SQL, Exchange, SBS, Blackberry, Phone Systems, etc. with no Acronis specific issues.

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • which build are you using, I would love to get my hands on the build.

As far as I know, I am using the latest.

Legacy Posted By Username: quicktech
  • All the machine are either on 9.1-3866 or 9.1-3926. All the images are stored on either a USB attached storage device attached directly to the server or sent to a share on a seperate backup server.

The majority of our issues that we currenlty experience fromthe Acronis backupare "Unable to create snapshot image", "Backup was interuppted", and after a verification "Archive is Corruput". The first one needs a reboot, the second one is normally intermitten based on what is occuring on the machine or network and normally easily corrected and last one ironically we have found most of the time to be bad memory in the machine.

Legacy Posted By Username: cberger
  • We've had this to on a few servers. Kaseya said to it seemed like an issue with VSS and SQL. They said to disable both during backups. Sad

Legacy Posted By Username: Coldfirex
  • When is this going to get fixed? We've had 4 instances this past month where a client's server gets locked up when Backup Vol Image starts. The servers are SBS and are running Exchange. While VSS is turned off on Kaseya, it is turned ON at the server. Are there pre/post scripts available from Kaseya (or anyone else) that will stop/start VSS andkeep the Backups from hosing the system? Or has anyone got a script to let us know when this occurs so that we know about it before our users do? It's embarrassing that the server is Up, but nobody can log in.

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • This has pretty much settled down for us but we do still get the occasional "Grey screen of death". That is where the server is still alive, the screen is grey, it responds to pings, but other than that, it is dead. Reset or power cycle seems to be the only option.

The other day I tried to do a restore from an image backup of a Windows 2000 server (no vss) running SQL 2000. When I brought it back up, the SQL instance was broke. This time, I backed it up AFTER I stopped the SQL instance and it worked just fine after the restore.

I still find it a crapshoot as to whether an installation will work properly. They all have to be monitored and coaxed along... sometimes with a lot of coaxing.

Legacy Posted By Username: RandyS
  • Our locks were caused by VSS. We had to disable VSS from BUDR and then the problems went away. Kaseya is aware of this issue but does not have a fix yet from Acronis.

• billmccl wrote:
    When is this going to get fixed? We've had 4 instances this past month where a client's server gets locked up when Backup Vol Image starts. The servers are SBS and are running Exchange. While VSS is turned off on Kaseya, it is turned ON at the server. Are there pre/post scripts available from Kaseya (or anyone else) that will stop/start VSS andkeep the Backups from hosing the system? Or has anyone got a script to let us know when this occurs so that we know about it before our users do? It's embarrassing that the server is Up, but nobody can log in.

I think the main issue is peoples perception of what turning on the acornis vss does. The Acronis VSS feature is not an actual shadow copy service but rather a communication agent that handles the interaction between MS VSS and open databases.

If enabled on machine that has database appsthat in theory support shadow copy, then when aAcronis backup is started the Acronis VSS handles the pausing of db systems to enable the MS VSSto take a clean shapshot so that if you have to recover it it will behave in a predicatable fashion.

I have seen servers that have been running fine for months with Acronis VSS enabled doing backups that work finewhen we have done test restores.Ocasionalythough, we have seen a couple that have had no apparent software changes made, start to fail when the Acronis VSS attempts to pause db services to let MS VSS take the snapshot. We are stumped as to why this is occuring but we can only imagine something in the database has changed that now makes the Acronis VSS throw a wobbly when it tries to interact with it.

We have had success, when machines have started failing by first diabling Acronis VSS, stopping services in a pre-backup script, monitoring for the trueimageserver.exe process starting and running a script off this alert to start the the db services again. These steps more or less do whatthe Acronis VSS agent does but just not out of the box.

There are scripts somewhere billmccl to do this stopstart business. I'll see if I can grab a link.

Coldfirex wrote:
    Our locks were caused by VSS. We had to disable VSS from BUDR and then the problems went away. Kaseya is aware of this issue but does not have a fix yet from Acronis.

Your database backups may not restore in a predictable fashion with Acronis VSS disabled. Use the scripting/trueimageserver monitor method if the machine is running a database.

Legacy Posted By Username: CNelsonT2
  • NM.

• There was a rumor that Microsoft's hotfix in KB940349 will take care of the SBS/Acronis/VSS GSOD. We're not brave enough to try it...

Legacy Posted By Username: jlawrence@databalance.com
  • We didn't get a GSOD, we just couldn't login. Nobody could login because the SBS Server is the DC. You could get to the login screen, enter your ID and password, but then you'd get a message that "Windows could not log you in", etc.

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • We tried the MS hotfix but it didnt seem to help at all.

We are confident enough that this is an Acronis issue and not M$

As Acronis has just released a new version of their server product (Echo), we are hoping this will be included in v5 (December/January/Feburary/March/Whenever it's ready)

An interesting note - we have a client using Acronis that has enterprise support from Acronis. They (Acronis) has no real idea why the lockups happen but do admit to them. Turning off VSS (In Acronis) is their official answer. I also asked about Exchange backups (clearing log files, etc) and they said they have no plans to introduce this functionality into the server imaging product but do plan to release a standalone Exchange server backup product (?!?).

Legacy Posted By Username: Masterson
  • We tried the hotfix KB940349 on our Blackberry Enterprise server and it seems to have helped.

The configuration is Windows Server 2003 R2 Service Pack 2, SQL2005. Acronis build 9.1-3926.

Previously, most any Kaseya backup with VSS enabled would cause the server to lock up. It would respond to pings and not much else. The mouse would function, but Crtl-Alt-Del would not bring up a login box or task manager. The last entry in the event log would be Acronis VSS starting.

We applied the patch and rebooted. It has not crashed in 4 days and we are getting backups.

Legacy Posted By Username: BlackTusk
  • FYI:

"Acronis has informed us that they will fully support Microsoft VSS in their next version, 9.5, which we plan to include in the next release of Kaseya, due out in Q1 of 2008. We expect the new version will correct the VSS issues we've encountered."