Kaseya Community

Trouble booting restored backups of SBS 2011

This question is answered

I'm trying to restore SBS 2011 servers to dissimilar hardware with very little luck. They will finish restoring with no problems, but will never boot. They post and then reboot, never getting to the windows splash screen. I've tried various builds of acronis 10 and 11 and a multitude of drivers. Is anybody else having similar issues?

Verified Answer
  • Sorry I haven't responded in a while. I was able to get two different SBS2011 servers to boot.

I restored just the system reserved and system partitions. Then I booted into the recovery environment and used bootrec /fixboot, /fixmbr, /rebuildbcd. I rebooted again and back into the recovery environment. I used startup repair (cd recovery --> startrep.exe). Then I booted Acronis 11 and used universal restore to slip in just the mass storage driver (and nothing else). After that it boots just fine. The driver in question was Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller, or

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller, depending on the disk setup. It all seems kind of obvious now.

Before, I always loaded the 'all' folder for the drivers. I installed SBS2011 clean on the machine and found the specific drivers that were installed, and used just the one driver to try and isolate the problem. After it boots and I install all the other drivers, I have no problems.

Mark, I will keep that in mind if my process doesn't work again for some reason.

Thank you everybody for your advice. It was very nice to know that people were willing to help.

All Replies
  • Sorry I haven't responded in a while. I was able to get two different SBS2011 servers to boot.

I restored just the system reserved and system partitions. Then I booted into the recovery environment and used bootrec /fixboot, /fixmbr, /rebuildbcd. I rebooted again and back into the recovery environment. I used startup repair (cd recovery --> startrep.exe). Then I booted Acronis 11 and used universal restore to slip in just the mass storage driver (and nothing else). After that it boots just fine. The driver in question was Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller, or

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller, depending on the disk setup. It all seems kind of obvious now.

Before, I always loaded the 'all' folder for the drivers. I installed SBS2011 clean on the machine and found the specific drivers that were installed, and used just the one driver to try and isolate the problem. After it boots and I install all the other drivers, I have no problems.

Mark, I will keep that in mind if my process doesn't work again for some reason.

Thank you everybody for your advice. It was very nice to know that people were willing to help.

• Perform the following methods to resolve the issue: 

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows 7 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Rebuild BCD using the Bootrec.exe tool

============================================

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2. Press a key when you are prompted. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.

3. Click Repair your computer.

4. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

6. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Refer the following link for more information:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows
    http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-bootmgr-is-missing-error-on-windows-desktop-or-laptop/