Kaseya Community

Windows alert on taskbar that updates are required

This question is answered

Has anybody ran into this and have a possible solution.  We control the deployment of patches through Software Management.  We also reject some by default or choice.  As a result, users, may see an alert icon (more so in win10), that the machine is missing Windows Updates.  The end user looks at the alert, which opens to the Windows Updates page, with the message that some updates are managed by your organization.  The end user is concerned because they begin to think that we are not keeping their machines up to date. 

I recognize that you can manually choose what alerts to show on task bar or notifications.  Any scripts or procedures to automatically turn them off?

Thanks guys,

Ira

Verified Answer
  • I thought the Automation Exchange from Kaseya might offer a solution, but it appears it won't.

Some searching leads to a heavyhanded approach for Win10 and Win2016: winaero.com/.../disable-updates-available-windows-10

This can be scripted and removes access to the executables that trigger the message. Windows Update is still active, it's just that Windows won't be able to trigger messages. Not the best of options, but an option. I can't believe there aren't better options out there, but we haven't been bothered by it too much....

• Thanks OudjesEric,

Sounds like an option to give a tray.  So long as it doesn't stop Updates, and we manage the through Software Management it will remove the fear from the alerts, thinking that they are not being updated.

Ira

All Replies
  • I thought the Automation Exchange from Kaseya might offer a solution, but it appears it won't.

Some searching leads to a heavyhanded approach for Win10 and Win2016: winaero.com/.../disable-updates-available-windows-10

This can be scripted and removes access to the executables that trigger the message. Windows Update is still active, it's just that Windows won't be able to trigger messages. Not the best of options, but an option. I can't believe there aren't better options out there, but we haven't been bothered by it too much....

• Thanks OudjesEric,

Sounds like an option to give a tray.  So long as it doesn't stop Updates, and we manage the through Software Management it will remove the fear from the alerts, thinking that they are not being updated.

Ira