Kaseya Community

How to change the Endpoint downloads folder location and how to manage patches

This question is answered

Dear community,

We use Kaseya 9.5.0.7 with software management for windows 10 machines.

Currently all the patches are downloaded to C:\kaseya\EndpointDownloads.

My first question is: Where can i alter the download path so that Kaseya downloads the patches to another cheap storage device instead of the root?

A 2nd question i have is, how do i manage what gets downloaded? Because the download folder shows SQL2012 servicepacks and Acronis patches which we don't need for our windows 10 workstations.

Somehow i can't find the right documentation for this.

Verified Answer
  • Creating mounted volumes is part of our standard deployment method. We recommend minimums of :

D:                                                         25G

D:\Kaseya\knm                                    10G

D:]Kaseya\EndpointDownloads         200G

D:\Kaseya\UserProfiles                        10G

D:\Kaseya\WebPages\ManagedFiles  25G

These sizes are appropriate for 2-3000 endpoints. These are either the folders that will grow or seem to have the most changes - moving these to volumes has helped our platform performance.

The process is not difficult, but requires a VSA outage. Perform this from the server console.

1. Allocate appropriate storage to the server. Format the volumes and assign drive letters - actual letters do not matter - they are temporary.

2. Stop all VSA services

3. MOVE (not copy) the files from the above location(s) to the ROOT of the drives that you assigned to the new volumes.

4. Using Disk Administrator, remove the drive letter from a volume. (don't worry, the data is still there).

5. Select the volume again and this time add it as a mount point. Verify that the files are present in the correct path.

Repeat steps 3-5 for each volume, then start the VSA services and verify operation.

We've done this for half a dozen MSP's VSA platforms so far this year alone.

Glenn

PS - I have published this process as a Tech Brief on our website (www.mspbuilder.com) It is in the Downloads / Tech Briefs section. It spells it out in a bit more detail than the above example.

Added reference to Tech Brief
    [edited by: gbarnas at 8:18 AM (GMT -7) on Apr 23, 2018]
All Replies
  • After some more searching i found out that a volume mount point is the best option to achieve this.

The 2nd question still stands.

• Hi Jeffrey

I have been looking at this also. Can you post a simple step by step instructions for what you have done to move the folder.

• Creating mounted volumes is part of our standard deployment method. We recommend minimums of :

D:                                                         25G

D:\Kaseya\knm                                    10G

D:]Kaseya\EndpointDownloads         200G

D:\Kaseya\UserProfiles                        10G

D:\Kaseya\WebPages\ManagedFiles  25G

These sizes are appropriate for 2-3000 endpoints. These are either the folders that will grow or seem to have the most changes - moving these to volumes has helped our platform performance.

The process is not difficult, but requires a VSA outage. Perform this from the server console.

1. Allocate appropriate storage to the server. Format the volumes and assign drive letters - actual letters do not matter - they are temporary.

2. Stop all VSA services

3. MOVE (not copy) the files from the above location(s) to the ROOT of the drives that you assigned to the new volumes.

4. Using Disk Administrator, remove the drive letter from a volume. (don't worry, the data is still there).

5. Select the volume again and this time add it as a mount point. Verify that the files are present in the correct path.

Repeat steps 3-5 for each volume, then start the VSA services and verify operation.

We've done this for half a dozen MSP's VSA platforms so far this year alone.

Glenn

PS - I have published this process as a Tech Brief on our website (www.mspbuilder.com) It is in the Downloads / Tech Briefs section. It spells it out in a bit more detail than the above example.

Added reference to Tech Brief
    [edited by: gbarnas at 8:18 AM (GMT -7) on Apr 23, 2018]
  • Thanks gbarnas for your answer! I hope this will help the performance aswell, as you say. Because at the moment Kaseya responds quite sluggish. It even depends on which browser we are using.

Still, is there any way to determine which software updates are downloaded? As i mentioned before we are somehow getting Acronis patches in the Endpointdownloads folder, and we don't need those.

• What is your ticket #?