Kaseya Community

Is Software Management Dead?

• I do not see to much activity in the forums on this..  We purchased it and have not used it due to its functionality and lack of 3rd Party apps compared to the old tool.. 

Where can we get more info on added software to the catalog and is Kaseya actually going to fix the current issues?

• Far from it.  We are focused on correcting issues in the next few patch releases.

• Mike,

We built all our tools to support S-M and spent almost 6 months trying to get it to work. We withdrew support until such time that basic automation via policy works (policies don't "layer" at this point, which means as much policy management as manual management, so what's the point?) We provided several pages of documented issues, challenges, and just strange behaviors to senior management back in Feb.

We're still working with S-M in Dev to determine when it will be ready for real production use. Check out our web site now and again - we'll post when the show-stopping (in our opinion) issues are resolved. This has the potential for an awesome add in!

Glenn

• @gbarnas - Glenn,  any improvements with Software Management that you have seen or are aware of?

• Tim,

We're waiting for the 9.6 release before we commit any substantial time to this. I'm told that many of the issues we identified will be resolved in that release.

Glenn

• Glenn, could you share these kind of problems and limitiation ? It would be good to know in which problems we can run into.

Greetings Till

• I run Software Management on 200 clients with an in-house Kaseya server.   It mostly works well.  I have 5 workstations that will not complete installing updates  (they are windows 7 32bit, 3 machines have 15 updates,, the other 2 6 updates)   2 other machines keep trying to install SQL Server updates, even though no SQL components installed.

On the other 193 machines no real issues  (about 90 of them are Win10 x64).    I don't see any performance issues as far as slowing our network down.      I have a blackout window of 8am-8pm Mon-Sat.   So all of the updates run overnight when no one is here.   (we do have some other traffic at night, never had an issue)

We have a 100mbps fiber connection to Comcast, with 10mbps fiber connections to 12 branch offices.

Yes, Software Management needs a lot of work, but no reason you can't and shouldn't use it.

• In one of the next versions lan cache also will avaiable within Software Management module.

• Well, the number one deal breaker for us was the inability to leverage system policies. The policies do not "layer" like all other system policies do. We have about 64 change windows for servers throughout the month, so we have policies that schedule the updates. We have a single policy that defines the common settings. Customers that require an alternate configuration just get a custom configuration policy to override the default(s). With software management, only one policy would work - the last one applied "won". Thus, we could neither use layered policies or override policies.

Another was the limitation on the number of supported apps - in demos, it seemed like dozens and dozens, but when we implemented it, there were about 32 (with multiple versions of several, but that doesn't increase the application count, does it?). Ninite, last I checked, supported over 130, and we developed a front-end to Ninite Pro that makes deploying installers, updaters, and removal procedures a snap.

The amount of manual effort required to administer Software Management is what caused us to withdraw our support - for now.

With Patch Management, we're about 98% automated. All but two clients use the default workstation settings (they have overrides to suppress Dot Net and IE updates, respectively). All server patching is fully automated with the exception of three clients - a 911 center that patches by schedule but we reboot manually after confirming that no emergency is in-progress, a power plant, and two servers at a customer with a "fragile" startup process. We define server patch schedules by running a procedure - set and forget, basically. Servers have alerts suspended for the entire change window, reboot, then apply patches and reboot again if necessary. The policies control the precise order in which servers patch and reboot, insuring that application environments start back up properly without manual intervention. With over 3000 endpoints and 400+ of them servers, we spend less than 45 minutes a month dealing with patching and application updating, and most of that is reviewing and approving the updates..

There were a number of other things we found with the general administration of S-M that felt like the designers had never seen Kaseya and did not leverage existing code libraries. Tabs that didn't work, drop-downs that were different than other components, and the like. Not problems, but really annoying.

Glenn