Kaseya Community

password change = complete disaster

• So we changed the password on a server. As a result, cloud backup stops working. I guess this is to be expected. Here's what (according to support), you have to do, in order for cloud backup to start working again:

1) Go to Start -> Run -> services.msc
    Right-click on the following Acronis services, and click on Restart:

• Acronis Managed Machine Service;
    • Acronis Remote Agent;
    • Acronis Scheduler2 Service.

2) Manually cleanup the content of the following folder:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts

3) Delete the present backup plan.

4) Restart Acronis scheduler:

• Download a special Acronis utility;
    • Start the Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
    • Run the following commands in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr task zap
    schedmgr service stop
    schedmgr service uninstall
    schedmgr service install
    schedmgr service start

5) Create a new backup plan and see if the issue remains.

In other words, scrap everything and start over from scratch. Delete the backup plan? i.e. kiss goodbye to all your existing backups!! Make a new backup plan - in other words, re-upload your entire backup data set to the cloud?

I dunno about anyone else, but isn't this fundamentally THE dumbest thing you've read this year? Seriously, this much work just for a simple password change? I think we just decided not to use cloud backup any more. 

• Hi Craig,

Firstly this only happens if it is a DC machine. Otherwise, I don't see a reason why it would be this way.

You could set the agent credentials and that should take care when you reset the password.

Please create a ticket with Support and we will investigate this further in detail to find out the root cause by cheking the logs.

• Wait! Step 5 - "see if the issue remains?"  This isn't even a sure fix?

• We just went through this ourselves. Depending on if you are using application backup or not, this is what we have done. And we figured this out on our own because support (as you expirenced) is not very helpful.  If you are using an application backup. Turning the application off, then on again, reprompts the entry of the password.  To get new password entries for network locations we simple re-add the network location.   We were also told the delete the backup plan.  But we weren't going to do that because it deletes the backup.  We would turn the schedule off on the backup plan and redo a new one. Downside here is it creates a new FULL backup so you need some space.  Creating new back up plans can be a huge PITA given some of our plans are file backups and there are a lot of selections to redo.

But their password management is HORRIBLE.  We are in the middle of a completle password overhaul and this has caused us so much extra work.  I mean how hard is it to have a change password option?

• Corey, are you doing all this in the Acronis portal, or somewhere in the VSA ?