Kaseya Community

Does Traverse Pull in Serial Numbers and Firmware?

This question is answered

we are looking to setup a demo but before we do one of the main things we are after is being able to tell serial numbers and firmware of the network devices.

for those using it, does it do either of these things?

Verified Answer
  • Hello,

The Network Configuration Management (NCM) capability in Traverse is often compared with having the equivalent of an Kaseya agent on a network device. With NCM you are able to perform complete audit of your router/switch/firewall/other network devices so that you have details like serial number, part numbers of installed modules, IP addresses and corresponding MAC address, amount of memory, software/firmware revision etc readily available. You also gain the ability to track changes being made to the configuration with full audit trail and ability to roll back to earlier revision. Finally, NCM provides you the ability to execute commands on one or multiple remote devices from a central console - similar to what you are able to do across servers using VSA.

Regards - Rajib

marked suggested answer
    [edited by: rajib.rashid at 7:44 AM (GMT -7) on Jun 2, 2017]
All Replies
  • Hello,

The Network Configuration Management (NCM) capability in Traverse is often compared with having the equivalent of an Kaseya agent on a network device. With NCM you are able to perform complete audit of your router/switch/firewall/other network devices so that you have details like serial number, part numbers of installed modules, IP addresses and corresponding MAC address, amount of memory, software/firmware revision etc readily available. You also gain the ability to track changes being made to the configuration with full audit trail and ability to roll back to earlier revision. Finally, NCM provides you the ability to execute commands on one or multiple remote devices from a central console - similar to what you are able to do across servers using VSA.

Regards - Rajib

marked suggested answer
    [edited by: rajib.rashid at 7:44 AM (GMT -7) on Jun 2, 2017]
  • thanks for the confirmation! you kind of alluded to it in your response but does Traverse (or NCM) support network config changes, such as creating/deleting/editing a vlan for example? assuming the make/model of switch supports it?

• Yes. Any two revisions of the configuration will indicate what was changed - including addition or deletion of VLANs as well as any other settings.

• just to clarify for my understanding. traverse can audit that change but can Traverse actually make that change?

so that if i am logged into traverse and i have a client that wants a new vlan for wireless can i use traverse to create that vlan for the client? or would i still have to log into an endpoint onsite and do it through the local cli/gui?

• Hi,

Traverse cannot be used directly to create/update VLAN or perform generic configuration tasks as it's primary role is to track and audit changes to those devices. However, if you are using Traverse to monitor the device in question, in most likeliness you will have a Data Gathering Engine Extension (DGEx) inside of the customer's network already present. The DGEx can act as a proxy/gateway that can provide you an easy mechanism to log into the device via HTTP/HTTPS/SSH. This kind of on-demand remote tunnel feature is built into Traverse.

Regards - Rajib